Looking for a tough digital dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KB3UBW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So as the title says I'm looking for a tough digital watch rated to diving depths, and I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations. So here's what I'm looking for:
  • Digital
  • 24 Clock
  • Under $200
  • Preferably black
  • Tough (I spend a lot of time outside, and put my gear through alot of use)
  • Rated to diving depths (I've heard that dive watches should be rated to 200M is that true?)
That's all I can think of right now, let me know if y'all have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

The Shark Freestyle checks all those boxes, and is cheap enough to be considered disposable.

I would encourage you to consider an analogue watch though. It will display more information at a glance, and there is no need to fuss with buttons. A bezel counts bottom time, your second hand is a constantly running stopwatch. Even a cheap dive watch will have a luminescent face, meaning it will glow at depth and can be recharged with a quick blast from your dive light. Best of all you can wear it topside. Most analogue dive watches look as appropriate with a 3 piece suit as they do with a wet suit. Also, you'll never need to replace the battery.

I dove the Citizen Professional Diver for years (until I lost it) without issue. It still clocks in under your $200 limit.

I already have a analog dive watch (Orient Mako), and I've done a couple dives with it, but I've found that I prefer a digital watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

perhaps one in the Timex Ironman series?????

Last edited:
So as the title says I'm looking for a tough digital watch rated to diving depths, and I was wondering if y'all had any recommendations. So here's what I'm looking for:
  • Digital
  • 24 Clock
  • Under $200
  • Preferably black
  • Tough (I spend a lot of time outside, and put my gear through alot of use)
  • Rated to diving depths (I've heard that dive watches should be rated to 200M is that true?)
That's all I can think of right now, let me know if y'all have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

How can you beat this

Casio Men's Black G-Shock Watch: $49.99 at Walmart

Shock resistant
EL backlight
Flash alert
Multi-function alarm
Stopwatch
Countdown timer
Water-resistant to 660' (200m)
Length: 9"
Buckle clasp
Lithium ion battery

yeah, that too....

My Timex Ironman seems to hold up through diving and daily wear. But I have a friend whose same watch died at depth. These are $50 watches. I would be glad to pay $100 for a similar watch that is more reliable and truly rated for diving rather than "water resistant to 100 meters." I'm not aware of such a watch. The more expensive watches that are rated for diving all seem to be analog. I guess the theory is that if someone is paying a lot for a watch, they want it to look like a watch, not a dive computer.

The more expensive watches that are rated for diving all seem to be analog. I guess the theory is that if someone is paying a lot for a watch, they want it to look like a watch, not a dive computer.

Or, buttons (commonly found on digitals) are more likely points of failure.......

Or, buttons (commonly found on digitals) are more likely points of failure.......

Good point. I suppose having buttons designed for underwater use is one factor that contributes to the cost of dive computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom