Looking for Advice on BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin's stuff looks good as well. :)

I am am thinking of going to Clear Springs in Terrell this Sunday. If you want to meet up with me, I can let you dive one of my singles rigs to get a feel for it. I can bring aluminum, steel or fabric plates for you to try. Let me know if you are interested.

Awesome! Wife may kill me as I was out diving the last two weekends and have been in Atlanta since Wednesday... But I'll try and get out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The short answer:

Plate size is a function of the diver's height

Plate material (Stainless vs lightweight) is a function of required ballast, and that is a function of exposure suit buoyancy and tank buoyancy

Wing Capacity is a largely a function of exposure suit buoyancy.

I would also add that wing capacity should facilitate floating your rig on the surface... particularly if integrated weight pockets or V weights are being utilized.

The stuff I'm drawn to so far is a HOG aluminum BP (because red), basic harness, and the HOG 32lbs wing for single tank.

Just another option to consider (though it's not red):

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-custom-singles-harness-backplate-wing-package

AL BP with harness and 25# wing for $299. Add $10 for a SS BP, if you want.

The wing is identical to the Dive Rite Travel EXP wing, just with a different logo on the outside.

I have no personal experience with this specific rig or Dive Rite wings. But, I do know that a 25# wing capacity would be plenty for me (6' 1", 215#) for warm water diving. And I hear good things about Dive Rite gear.

I have a SS plate and horseshoe wing for singles and am looking to replace the wing with a donut and add an AL plate to my inventory for warm fresh water diving. So, I have been eyeing this exact rig for myself.

Also, just FYI, be aware that some wings have a zipper to let you access the inner bladder, some do not, and (I believe) some don't even have an inner bladder that is separate from the outer shell. I have had my current wing for less than a year. I am clumsy. I have already repaired 3 holes in the bladder of my wing that were a result of me dropping my BP rig a few inches onto the bench on a pitching boat while changing tanks. When I dropped it, the weight of the plate hitting the wing and pinching it between the plate and bench created holes in the bladder inside. No visible damage to the outside. It's called a pinch flat. No manufacturer will recommend or support repairing something like that yourself. But, I fixed mine with about 10 minutes time, some AquaSeal, and some pieces of old bicycle inner tube. Been fine for almost 20 dives since.

Choosing a wing that you can do a quick repair on, in the field, so to speak, may or may not be a factor that you decide is important in your purchase decision. I have been diving less than a year (38 dives, I think, so far). You may not be as clumsy as me, so jacking up your wing by dropping your BP on it may not be a significant concern.

I DO have a lot of personal experience with Dive Gear Express and their customer service is simply awesome. And the warranty on their own branded stuff (like this BP/W rig) is a Lifetime warranty. Not really an issue for an AL or SS back plate, or a Hogarthian harness. But, could be very handy on a wing. To be clear, though, I do not believe DGX or any other manufacturer will warranty a wing that got a hole from dropping your BP onto it. But a warranty for a seam failure 10 years from now might be nice.

Last edited:
My one regret was purchasing a single tank adapter. The tank sits further out from my spine which allows the wing to taco a bit, and the slots for the upper tank strap are way too high which forces the tank valve to sit behind my head and force me out of trim just to look forward since I can't tilt my head back at all.

For the wing you chose, STA is a right decision. That wing has two design issues that make using it without STA not so optimal. One is it doesn't have building STA or the soft pillow in the center. The tank just won't be as stable as with wing that is build for STAless in mind, such as Oxycheq or DSS. Two is the center center channel is so wide, the wing won't stay center or square when you strap in the tank. This may not be a big deal in actual use tho.

The wing taco has nothing to do with STA. It has to do with the width of the wing. As to STA shifting tank mounting positon up. Yes, this is true for most (bad designed) STA. Try to looking a Deep Outdoor STA. It is the best STA I have seen. I think Pirahan is selling some old stock. Take a look it will all make sense.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2015 at 01:00 PM ----------

Before getting the HOG back plate, here is something I want to point out because I have one. You may want to know:
1) it is quite big. One of the biggest plate I have used, amount DSS medium, Halcyon regular, OMS. NOT by much, 1/8-1/4" here and there, but noticeable. Only DiveRite regular plate is slight bigger
2) it has the deepest band of all plates I have use. This mean tank will be further away from you back. I like it. Others may prefer flatter plate.
3) It has a set of holes allow you to mount STA or double lower with respect to the plate. It is the main reason I got it.
3) The surface is power coated, not hard anodized. Power coat is NOT as tough as hard anodized. The red will come off quite easily compared to OMS and Halcyon's finish
4) the AL plate is thinner than OMS and Halcyon's. It is noticeably softer when mounting on doubles when you screw down the bolts

I am not saying it is good or bad. Just something I don't see getting mentioned

Awesome! Wife may kill me as I was out diving the last two weekends and have been in Atlanta since Wednesday... But I'll try and get out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was at CSSP today and dive Tobin's gear exclusively. Maybe one day we can all meet up and compare goodies. Not to sound snobbish, but I would never choose a piece of of gear because of the color... :wink:

For the wing you chose, STA is a right decision. That wing has two design issues that make using it without STA not so optimal. One is it doesn't have building STA or the soft pillow in the center. The tank just won't be as stable as with wing that is build for STAless in mind, such as Oxycheq or DSS. Two is the center center channel is so wide, the wing won't stay center or square when you strap in the tank. This may not be a big deal in actual use tho.

The wing taco has nothing to do with STA. It has to do with the width of the wing. As to STA shifting tank mounting positon up. Yes, this is true for most (bad designed) STA. Try to looking a Deep Outdoor STA. It is the best STA I have seen. I think Pirahan is selling some old stock. Take a look it will all make sense.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2015 at 01:00 PM ----------

Before getting the HOG back plate, here is something I want to point out because I have one. You may want to know:
1) it is quite big. One of the biggest plate I have used, amount DSS medium, Halcyon regular, OMS. NOT by much, 1/8-1/4" here and there, but noticeable. Only DiveRite regular plate is slight bigger
2) it has the deepest band of all plates I have use. This mean tank will be further away from you back. I like it. Others may prefer flatter plate.
3) It has a set of holes allow you to mount STA or double lower with respect to the plate. It is the main reason I got it.
3) The surface is power coated, not hard anodized. Power coat is NOT as tough as hard anodized. The red will come off quite easily compared to OMS and Halcyon's finish
4) the AL plate is thinner than OMS and Halcyon's. It is noticeably softer when mounting on doubles when you screw down the bolts

I am not saying it is good or bad. Just something I don't see getting mentioned

Thanks for the info on the Hog plates!

I talked to Tobin this afternoon and ordered a SS Long plate with the 17lb wing.

Very excited and will hopefully receive it before diving next weekend on the 15th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added August 7th, 2015 at 08:43 PM ----------

I was at CSSP today and dive Tobin's gear exclusively. Maybe one day we can all meet up and compare goodies. Not to sound snobbish, but I would never choose a piece of of gear because of the color... :wink:

Haha nice. Well I ordered from Tobin and am super excited!

Thanks for the info on the Hog plates!

I talked to Tobin this afternoon and ordered a SS Long plate with the 17lb wing.

Very excited and will hopefully receive it before diving next weekend on the 15th.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2015 at 08:43 PM ----------

Haha nice. Well I ordered from Tobin and am super excited!

Pleasure speaking with. Thanks for the order. Your goods should ship Monday.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom