Looking for advice on trying a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mia. I am interested in the Caribbean Explorer, but have a question about getting there. What airlines fly between st kitts and st smarten?

I was on the Humbolt Explorer last December and had a great time, the crew was fantastic and the diving was everything we hoped for.
Thanks

Do we have to worry about Great White Sharks since we look like sea lions?

I would've had the same concern, except people dive in wetsuits in California waters, and great whites do occur there. I don't know just what keeps more divers from getting nailed by whites, but it seems to be rare (though as they say, 'Never say never').

Richard.

What airlines fly between st kitts and st smarten?
I don't know if you're specifically looking to fly between St Kitts and St Maarten or just concerned with flying into one and out of the other. If it's the latter, American does that out of Miami. I'm doing this trip in Sept and that's the route I've booked - into St Kitts through MIA and then back from St Maarten also through MIA.

Mia. I am interested in the Caribbean Explorer, but have a question about getting there. What airlines fly between st kitts and st smarten?...

WinAir offers flights between St. Martin and St. Kitts, see the link below.

We took AA from Chicago to St. Martin, we had found a good deal on an AA vacation with air, car, and hotel and spent a few days on the island. It was lovely and a lot of fun. We were staying on the Dutch side of the island but we also enjoyed visiting the French side.

We then sailed in the Explorer to St. Kitts and Saba and we did shore excursions from the boat on each island. I remember sailing by Nevis and Statia while we were cruising around the area.

My husband and I got off the boat on Saba near the end of the cruise and we spent a few days on that island before flying back to St. Martin on a WinAir Twin Otter. I remember that there was a sign on the Saba airport proclaiming it to be an "international airport" because it connected to several nearby islands (foreign countries).

We expected to go back to Chicago from St. Martin on AA but our AA flight was delayed and we had to overnight in Miami without any luggage, so we finally got back home a day late.

I really enjoyed the diving around Saba, the sea mounts were beautiful, interesting, and unusual and there was lots of sea life. We only spent one day diving St. Kitts we had bad vis so left the area quickly - so I cannot comment on St. Kitts diving.

I know that they now offer a high-speed ferry boat between St. Martin and Saba and I hear that it can be a rough ride. I got very seasick on the Explorer during the crossing from St. Martin to Saba, but after a (miserable) night I was fine.

Winair DESTINATIONS

Last edited:
Thanks Tulsa, that is what I was asking. I guess they also do into SM and out of st kitts?

Thanks Tulsa, that is what I was asking. I guess they also do into SM and out of st kitts?
Yes, it's not a packaged trip. I priced them as separate legs expecting to take a good price hit for it not being a traditional roundtrip but the total price was about the same as a roundtrip to either one of them individually. Still pricey (~ $700 I think) but no premium on not returning from exactly the same place that I flew into.

Don't know if this applies to your location, but something else I have to consider here - American only does a non-stop from Tulsa to Miami once a day on Saturdays. Conveniently, that's exactly the day I needed it. Had it been otherwise though, and I had another stop before MIA, I wouldn't be able to make St Kitts in one day.

If you get the chance you might want to experience the Saba airport, it's quite exhilarating!

Saba Airport

Mia. I am interested in the Caribbean Explorer, but have a question about getting there. What airlines fly between st kitts and st smarten?

I was on the Humbolt Explorer last December and had a great time, the crew was fantastic and the diving was everything we hoped for.
Thanks

Hi Randpchi! That's so great to hear about Humboldt. I have yet to make it out there, but I see the photos all the time and listen to the amazing reviews. One day!

Things to consider when booking for the Caribbean Explorer II is to pay attention to where the boat is docking, which alternates between:
SXM - St.Maarten
SKB - St.Kitts
I've attached today's availability schedule (check back for the most up to date list) which includes the location of the vessel for each departure week.

WinAir goes between the two islands as well as Liat.

Give a shout to our head office and they'll be able to give you all the details you need! 1 800 322 3577 or live chat on our website www.ExplorerVentures.com

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Attachments

• ExplorerVenturesFleetSchedule_03Aug16.pdf
    211.6 KB · Views: 56
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom