looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend that you learn how to act appropriately when you're looking for help from others.

In the meantime, go to skool and lurn something. Come back here when you grow up. Otherwise, its just a waste of bandwidth.

L8r

We were also 15 once. He asked for diving advice...not spelling and grammar advice. My guess is that he already gets enough lectures about that. Ease up a little.

Tech Diver, these crust old f*rts are right, however, that it can be irritating to have someone come stomping in like a bull in a china shop. How about if you try your questions again?

Just a crusty old f*rt myself

Fine. Here's some diving advice.

Stay in skool until you lurn manners. Otherwise. people won't buy from u.

true for each successive generation it would seem. Not only the slang but the music etc etc. I've raised to adulthood 3 children and currently have two teenagers. Some how we all survive this stage and then grow old. The earth still spins and the sun still comes up everyday.

BTW Tech diver. My advice to contact SCORE proably won't work for you since you're in the UK. SCORE is a part of the Small Business Administration in the US. SCORE stands for Service
Core of Retired Executives. There may be something similar in the UK though.

DutchDown--I'm a moderator but I'm declining to merge this thread with the original since the original is getting a bit harsh. Better to let it die on the vine if it will.

Let the brat go, I say. DM

Original Post:

Tech Diver: stop being a brat. :baby: If you want to be welcomed here, you have to learn how to play with the grown-ups. So write like a grown-up.

The rest of you: Chill. He made an error in judgment with his first post, now he's baiting you with the others. You're usually too smart to fall for that.

Also, ahem, many of us should consider keeping dictionaries and grammar books by our computers. If you think you're above mistakes, re-read an old thread. In "Half-Naked Women", for example, damned nearly every post on page one contained at least one error.

And yes, I imagine there are errors in this post too. So I'm offering a surprise gift to the person who finds the greatest number. :)

DM

Hmm, now I wonder how carefully I should be checking mine. My spelling and grammar are generally good (they'd better be - I am guilty of editorship on occasion) but I admit I don't proofread things that I post here (technical info excepted) with anything like the same effort that I devote to writing that is headed for print publication. A lot of keyboard errors go uncorrected if I'm in a hurry, too and I make a lot of them because I am a terrible typist in many ways (I hit keys beside the one I want, don't time my shift key well and have many transposed letters because I end up hitting them in the wrong order).

And I also start sentences with conjunctions (and use far too many brackets and dashes - something i don't do in "real" writing). And i skip the occasional capital letter on purpose...

And make only minor attempts to quell my colourful Canadian spelling. So far no-one's flamed me for it.

Ok, the kid came onto the board with a provocative name ("Tech Diver"? At 15? In this place? Hoo-boy!) and responded to what started out as a fairly gentle spelling flame (*spelling* flames, gentlemen? Tsk.) by getting personal. He's 15. And at least he didn't use studlycaps <shudder>.
I see a lot of others on the board, many far older, using similar silly spelling and no-one flames them (possibly because they have been around longer?)

How about he gets his wish and the thread and he get modded out - so he can come back (with a less provocative handle perhaps?) and be WELCOMED PROPERLY. Just my $0.02 (CAN) cat

I am sure you read many of the posts before you joined and began posting. Even to a teenager it should have been evident to you the style of language and internet spelling being used here. Save and except those with English as their second language, most post are of the usual english language. Not the abbreviated internet language you began your post with.

I have seen my teenage son use the internet language and I think it is great.

Now back to your original question, I would suggest you attend a post secondary education concentrating on business. Learn the basics of marketing, bookeeping, banking procedures, contract law, and other necessary courses. Talk to other business owners (not just Dive shops) to understand their concerns and problems fo being a small business owner. Do some research on the demand for a dive shop in your area. (or the area in which you want to run a shop). Of course continue your dive education with various dive instructors and various dive conditions.

PM on a civil level some of the LDS owners in various parts of the world. Their experiences will differ in many areas, yet remain the same in others.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom