Looking for expert opinion on the following gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The prices there are better and they do international delivery but I don't know how long they take.

What do you guys think of this rig?

1) Mares Dragonfly AT
2) Apeks Tx100
3) Octo Apeks Tx40
4) Mares Mission 2D SPG

I'd be happy with that rig.

If cost is a concern go for the Tx-50. They say the breathing machine says that the Tx-100 breathes better, But you probably can't tell the difference. The Tx-50 has a swivel 1st stage.The Tx-100 doesn't. I like the swivel.Both are Dry sealed.

I got my Reg in DIN and bought the yoke adapter. This way I use HP steel tanks near home, and aluminum 80's when traveling.

Tavi

So, the rig's okay? I think I'll be getting it from http://www.diveinn.com, the prices are better than the local ones in my area, even with all the shipping involved. Will also be getting it in DIN, because it's cheaper to convert DIN to Yoke than the other way.

I believe that anywhere outside the UK, the Mares ABYSS is less expensive than the Apeks TX100. I know that I've seen it for less than HALF the price of a TX100 in the US.

And with that in mind, price/performance then completely blows away the Apeks.

Check the reviews around the net. I have seen some bad comments for the TX100, though the units have been improved over their initial introduction. I have yet to see anything bad about the Abyss - except about it's weight. And most of these complaints are actually due to the stiffness of the hose. The first stage is the beefy heavy bit.

Of all the regs out there, the hardest choice to make comes between the Abyss and TX100 IMO. And the Abyss is especially nice since it lacks any knobs. Though to be fair, most everyone with the TX100 sets it and forgets it.

Instead of the Mares Mission however, I'd go with something less clunky. I'm sure it will work fine, I just don't like its boot structure.

Bruno

I'm buying that same combo (almost)

Mares Dragon Fly AT
APEKS TX100 (maybee the new ATX-200)
APEKS TX40 Octo

SUPER SWEET SETUP... I really thing that we are going to start seeing more and more airtrim systems out there. As well as more hybrid systems.. partial back/vest inflation.

Mares and DACOR right now... I'm sure others will follow as it truely is a great system and about the easiest to master out there ... just my .02$

:D have a good one

Back
Top Bottom