Looking for fireamrs under bridges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve had several courses on weapons recovery, there’s a right way and a wrong way to recover a weapon. If you do find one, how were you thinking of picking it up? Just because the gun’s in the water doesn’t mean the finger prints are gone. Exact location tells you something. Depth in the silt tells you something. Algae accumulation tells you something. When you touch the gun, you start changing the story and, as has already been pointed out, the defense attorney will (rightly) discredit any useful information as tainted.

What do you plan to tell the authorities when you turn the gun in? It was about 20 or 30 yards thata way isn’t exactly going to fly during the trial… you don’t mind hanging out for a few days waiting to be called if there is a trial do you?

Weather or not you get to keep the weapon probably depends on the local authorities, not weather you recover the weapon or the sheriff’s divers do.

If you want to recover weapons etc. look into joining your local public safety dive team. Dive Rescue Internationals (http://www.diverescueintl.com) underwater investigator course is excellent. They provide extensive coverage of weapons recovery with body, aircraft and vehicle recovery thrown in for good measure.

Weapons search and recovery is a lot of fun but it’s even more fun if you know what your doing and… do it right (don’t shoot) :wink:

Dave

ColdH2Odvr once bubbled...
Weapons search and recovery is a lot of fun but it’s even more fun if you know what your doing and… do it right... (don’t shoot) :wink:

Dave

:wacko: AAYEEE!!! Good post, CHD, but let's not get THAT started in this thread, please! How about: "Know what you're doing and...do it PROPERLY!" :wacko:

Yea, you know I will call the police and tell them I FOUND a gun, knife.....gold bullion or.........
You know I will. Uh huh.....sure.:wacko:

walter scott once bubbled...
Yea, you know I will call the police and tell them I FOUND a gun, knife.....gold bullion or.........
You know I will. Uh huh.....sure.:wacko:

You know, that was pretty much what I was thinking.

I'm an East-Coaster now... And I have to admit, the mentality is simply different here.

If I were diving here and found a firearm, I most certainly would contact the authorities. I probably would have retrieved it and given it to them... But now that someone mentions it, it probably would be a good idea to mark it and come back to it later with the cops.

...But I lived in Arizona for five years or so, until recently... Tucson, to be exact. And the mentality's simply different there. Heck, if I found a body at the bottom of a lake, I don't think I'd bother to alert the authorities... Much less a firearm. A firearm has value. I'd keep that sucker.

...Strange how the locales have different mentalities on the subject. With all due respect to law enforcement, my opinions come from dealing with them... Having cop friends, being stopped during a traffic stop... Meeting them here and there at dive meetings, and the like. The ones here are... Well... Good people, concerned with justice and crime fighting. I didn't get that impression from the ones in Arizona... My experience was... Well... More like what you'd expect to see out of Mexican cops. :D

...Sorry if that offends anyone. I just thought it an interesting observation that my actions might be influenced by my location.

SeaJay once bubbled...
...But I lived in Arizona for five years or so, until recently... Tucson, to be exact. And the mentality's simply different there. Heck, if I found a body at the bottom of a lake, I don't think I'd bother to alert the authorities... Much less a firearm. A firearm has value. I'd keep that sucker.

The ones here are... Well... Good people, concerned with justice and crime fighting. I didn't get that impression from the ones in Arizona... My experience was... Well... More like what you'd expect to see out of Mexican cops. :D

...Sorry if that offends anyone. I just thought it an interesting observation that my actions might be influenced by my location.

Tucson is basically Mexico anyways so I can see how you would come to that conclusion...Think of the people they have to deal with on a day to day basis!!!!....Damn border jumpers :mean:

All kidding aside no matter where you go your going to find good cops and not so good cops...I would like to think in general they all are concerned with justice and crime fighting....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom