Looking for info on Seattle/Alki Cove 2 diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually, i've got the first two of those as well -- fear of heights translates pretty well into fear of flying. worst way to die i can think of is falling out of the sky in an airliner...

people keep on trying to 'save' me from being an introvert as well, i wish they'd stop... can't we just be happy the way we are? why is it a sin if you aren't constantly trying to overcome your limitations?
You're an introvert? Seriously? I never noticed ... I thought you were just a typical geek ... :lotsalove:

lamont:
okay, but why the riskiest way possible to heighten the fear and try to overcome it in order to intensify the situation? if i'm going to work on the fear of heights i'm not going to start out with basejumping to try to get over it... in fact, i know it would take me a lot more jumps than average to get to the point where i would skydive without paying someone else to pull my ripcord... you have to respect your fears even if you're going to try to confront them...
Some of the scariest moments I've had to date as a dive instructor were in an OW class dealing with a student who ... it turns out ... signed up because he wanted to overcome his fear of water. He didn't ... nor did he make it past the first pool session. I suggested to him that he sign up for swimming lessons, and come back when he had developed some in-water comfort. I never saw him again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're an introvert? Seriously? I never noticed ... I thought you were just a typical geek ... :lotsalove:

Some of the scariest moments I've had to date as a dive instructor were in an OW class dealing with a student who ... it turns out ... signed up because he wanted to overcome his fear of water. He didn't ... nor did he make it past the first pool session. I suggested to him that he sign up for swimming lessons, and come back when he had developed some in-water comfort. I never saw him again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
enlightning.. I have a friend who is terrrified of the water, but insists that If I take her she knows she can get over her fear..... I have been wondering if I take on the challenge, or what.. I agree facing fear is great, but there are ways to do it safley and make sure the odds are in your favor, base jumping, swallowing fire, diving solo whatever.. take precautions
Clay

If fear is keeping you from doing something you really want to do, or interfering with your normal daily function, you need to do something about it. Gradual desensitization is the thing the psychologists generally use, although I've found that, for me, with the fear I've had after accidents, sometimes just gutting through it a few times works a lot faster. But you have to know you're not prone to panic in order to do that, and it's pretty unpleasant.

The problem is that, if you push to the breaking point in fear and end up panicking, you can get badly hurt. That's true, whether you are diving or, in the example with which I have the most experience, riding horses. A panicked rider creates a panicked horse, and that's an accident almost certainly going to happen. In the water, a panicked diver IS the accident, but can draw another into his sphere and hurt them, too.

First of all I'm very sorry to hear about this tragic loss, my heartfelt sympathies go to the fiance and freinds of the deceased... RIP

if you panic, training may not help much at all...

I have been very grateful for the training I received during my diving class. I had the privilege to get my cert at the ripe old age of 15 from an instructor that was also an open water survival instructor for the Air Force. Along with the course dictated by PADI he also added his own regimen of "panic proofing". Putting us through (what at the time) seemed like sadistic torture in the pool to teach us how to keep our heads when the task load tried to overwhelm us. All the time telling us, "diving won't kill you, panic will". To get this training so young was such an awesome gift. It has assisted me throughout my life, both in and out of the water.

Instructors are not "allowed" (so to speak) to teach "those kind of courses" at the openwater level anymore. No hazing. No turning off of air. NO ripping regs out. NO ripping masks off. no simulated panic underwater coming at your student (or having your AI do it) in the middle of a checkout dive at a million miles and hour like an OOG diver and ripping the students reg out of their mouth and knocking their mask off in the process... And even if we were allowed, classes are too short to get to a point with your (well, mine were I teaching) students that an instructor would be comfortable doing some of the drills we used to do in the 'old days'.

An Open Water survival instructor in the Air Force (for the rest of the readers) means he was more than likely a SERE trainer. Those guys are the badasses of the AF. Yanno, the ones who teach POW school and such. The likelyhood of him teaching you a watered down basic scuba class is next to nil. I'm gonna guess he was a fairly thorough instructor taught you well beyond the standard standards.. You were indeed lucky.

First of all I'm very dorry to hear about this tragic loss, my heartfelt sympathies go to the fiance and freinds of the deceased... RIP

I have been very grateful for the training I received during my diving class. I had the privilege to get my cert at the ripe old age of 15 from an instructor that was also an open water survival instructor for the Air Force. Along with the course dictated by PADI he also added his own regimen of "panic proofing". Putting us through (what at the time) seemed like sadistic torture in the pool to teach us how to keep our heads when the task load tried to overwhelm us. All the time telling us, "diving won't kill you, panic will". To get this training so young was such an awesome gift. It has assisted me throughout my life, both in and out of the water.

Ditto for me on the NAUI Openwater training I received in 1969. It gave me tons of confidence and knowlege about myself.

I cannot understand why training someone about panic in a safe environment like a pool is considered such a problem. Yet they panic when the cold water hits their nose during open water mask don/doff and bolt to the surface...

I doubt you'll hear any more details on this unless the family releases them. The medical Examiner's office will only release them to the family, AFAIK.

Jack

My Condolences to the family and friends. It is hard to see a fellow diver pass away doing what he loved. What else can I say but I am so dearly sorry.

Wrong! Just plain wrong.:shakehead: $$$ Has nothing to do with ones ability to scuba dive. People with false information who spout it out as truth are more dangerous than the diver that knows he/she knows nothing. One tandem jump and now you are the expert??? By the way the SERE trainers are Pararescue guys. Survival,Escape,Resistance, and Escape is what they teach. WTF?:lotsalove: Been there done that.

Perhaps diving should go back to being somewhat cost prohibitive. Along the lines of Skydiving, where in reality, it costs you upwards of $3000 to actually be able to jump by yourself at the most basic level. (not counting all the gear you'll want to buy). Where does all that money go? Well, you have to have 25 jumps for your "A" license. Basically all of those jumps are with an instructor or coach. In addition, after you HAVE your license, you must log a jump every 30 days to remain current, and if you do not remain current, you pay extra for 'retraining' when you decide to jump again. I hear you all saying "well, skydiving is different! It's more dangerous! More things can go wrong!" Keep in mind what thread you are currently reading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom