looking for more air and still keeping good trim/bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, around here a short fill is 3600. Usually mine get filled to 3800 or 3900 psi. [emoji41]
Now get those 120's filled to 3600. Nobody ever died in a cave because they had too much air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Dallas area I didn't find anyone filling more than 3000 psi
I use steel HP120 and pretty ok with it's seize and trim.
Scuba Toys does. That is where I fill my HP tanks.

i have four aluminum 80s I can use... how does rigging a stage bottle different than side mount ? I have an extra reg and im open to the idea...

Call me crazy, but I feel much more balanced and stable with doubles on my back as opposed to a large single tank. Doubles are not only redundant but are much lower profile.

My suggestion would be double LP50's. Low profile, well balanced and meets your desired gas capacity.

Call me crazy, but I feel much more balanced and stable with doubles on my back as opposed to a large single tank. Doubles are not only redundant but are much lower profile.

My suggestion would be double LP50's. Low profile, well balanced and meets your desired gas capacity.
the only problem with doubles, is that some boats won't allow them on normal recreational trips.

Last edited:
the only problem with bubbles, is that some boats won't allow them on normal recreational trips.

All the more reason to use a different dive boat.

The stage rig will clip on to both the upper chest and side waist d-rings. Usually hangs a little looser and isn't noticeable once you get used to it. One of your 80s would be ideal or if you can find a 40 somewhere that's good place to start if the 80 sounds too big (which it isn't but the idea can be weird if you've never tried it).
If you are open to side mount, that's a good way to go as well for what you want to achieve. Side mount is rigged much differently than a stage mount although it does look similar at first glance.
The bonus with side mount is if you take your rig down south you're equipped for doubles diving or singles since side mount works great with a single tank as well.

i have four aluminum 80s I can use... how does rigging a stage bottle different than side mount ? I have an extra reg and im open to the idea...

Last edited:
Lp85's. A 3500 fill will get you 126 cuft of gas which is incredible. Don't worry too much about over filling, just make sure the burst disc is like a 4500 lb or so

I like my HP 100s, I have used the since the PST days (still have a set for doubles) and for single tank I use a Faber F7 HP 100.
Its at 3442 PSI, 25x7.25 in -8 full and -.6 empty

Compact, lots of gas, and easy to stay trim with reduced lead on the waist, can't say enough good about them. I don't personally like the idea of overfilling anything regardless of how "safe" it it. The manufacturer specifies operating specs for a reason. Just my two cents, worth what you paid for it.

edit: spelling

Have you considered getting into sidemount? I think you might find it is a great configuration for what you have described as your need for a larger gas supply coupled with your diving activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom