Looking for new wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm🤔

Oxy use a very thick bladder think water bed.

My DGX did not, does yours? Thank you.
Simon,
This is the first BC I’ve had with a replaceable bladder, so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I
wouldn’t say that it’s all that thick. I took a couple of photos, but I’m not sure how helpful they’ll be. If you blow up the second photo you can see the material overlap from the seam. It might give you an idea.
Erik

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 56
I wonder if an Oxy bladder would fit in the DGX wing?

Otherwise sounds like you are a committed Oxy customer and just need to bite the bullet. You could buy two DGX's wings for the price of the oxy.. shoot they almost charge a full wing replacement cost just for their bladders..

Here is a link to the bladder replacements from Oxy:
I think the 30lb bladder might just fit, although as has been mentioned likely overkill I guess I'm just used to it and in over 10 years never having an issue I've decided it's robust but I guess "lesser" wings also hold up just as well.

Simon,
This is the first BC I’ve had with a replaceable bladder, so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I
wouldn’t say that it’s all that thick. I took a couple of photos, but I’m not sure how helpful they’ll be. If you blow up the second photo you can see the material overlap from the seam. It might give you an idea.
Erik
Yes, mine was the same. Def Oxy (?) inspired in shape though. Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

Yes, mine was the same. Def Oxy (?) inspired in shape though. Thanks for taking the time to post pics.
I just realized that it’s hard to see in the first photo, but there is a yellow oblong circle just below the top (right in the photo) tank strap. That is the Oxy logo.

I just realized that it’s hard to see in the first photo, but there is a yellow oblong circle just below the top (right in the photo) tank strap. That is the Oxy logo.
Good catch, yes, indeed.

Wonder if oxy have sold on given low numbers of currently available stock🤔 the Apeks wings look very similar too.

I used to have an Oxy which I loved but it got to the point where I couldn't keep all the holes from leaking (I was doing surveys in surf and getting rolled a lot, nothing wrong with the wing). I bought a DGX as a replacement and love it. Nice and narrow without a lot of flapping material. I live in the tropics, and it has plenty of lift for my SS backplate, steal cylinders, and gear. Price is great. I bought a second one for my rebreather. I don't tend to need any additional buoyancy on my RB, but it stays out of the way and provides buoyancy on the surface if needed.

Had the DGX one but in comparison to my Oxy was shocked at how thin it was. Not sure in reality if it was real world meaningful.
I have a non-extreme Oxycheq wing and the only wing I ever seen with similar construction was an older Hollis singles wing. IIRC Patrick coated the shell with something that made it stiffer than a DSS or Halcyon wing. Also the Oxy bladder was thicker than DSS. Halcyon uses a nylon bladder which many other wings have transitioned to. Personally I prefer the nylon bladder.

I no longer see Oxy selling the extreme version any more, so it may be a special order.

I have a Mares XR wing which uses a urethane bladder but (from memory) it is not as thick as what Oxy used. Also the shell is not coated and I believe the elbow and dump is proprietary. I had an Agir wing, and from memory it didn't seem anything special. I recently picked up a Chinese wing on a whim and the quality seems fine, especially for the $116 I paid (including shipping and sales tax). Aliexpress is your friend.

If you are afraid of puncturing the wing you can go old school and wrap the bladder with an innertube for protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom