Looking for quick hints when landing in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madmanmike

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Booked a ticket to Cebu for the 22nd (10 days from now!). I am planning to check out Malapascua and probably doing my IDC there starting in early July. So I will be there at least a month, perhaps much longer if I can pick up some teaching after I am done. So, say 30 days minimum on the island, maybe more.

I am booking transfer from Cebu to Thresher Divers thru the dive shop, so transportation should be covered. I am looking for hints/suggestions of anything I should do before I leave Cebu. I think one thing to do is exchange some cash for the local currency. How much would you suggest? I think the accommodations and IDC costs can be paid in cash using US$. How much 'walking around' cash do you guys usually carry?

Any items I should stock up on before I get there? Toiletries, etc.? Are laundry facilities available, or do the lodgings provide the service?

Any other hints and suggestions for traveling there for a month? I know I will have to get a medical done before the IDC, but I think I can hop over to Cebu for a day to get that?

I appreciate any info you care to give, many thanks,
Michael

I've been to Malapascua Island 4 times, most recently I spent 4 weeks there in April diving with Evolution Diving Resort in Malapascua, Cebu, Philippines I've had good experiences with Evolution the 3 times that I've dived with them. They're top notch and have a reputation as being one of the best places in the Philippines for technical dive training as well as diving in general. Definitely worth taking the time to look into. You're diving with Thresher Shark Divers? I dived with them my first trip there in 2007. PM me and I'll share my experience with them.

The transfer arranged through the dive shop is very expensive compared to what you can do using public transportation (I've posted elsewhere on this). If you're planning to stay in Cebu City a few days I'd look at doing that. You're only looking at around 300 pesos plus the taxi fare to get to the North Bus terminal. Not an insignificant difference!

Whether they will accept dollars is something you should check ahead of time... that hasn't been my experience. If they do accept them, then don't expect a good exchange rate. I would exchange enough dollars in Cebu so that you will have enough pesos when you get there. The exchange booths at the airport don't usually have the best rates. Exchange just enough to get you to another exchange. The thing to understand is that dollars will always have to be exchanged eventually even if the resort or dive shop does it for you. That will cost you of course. When I needed additional pesos when I was there in April I had to leave the island to get them. A word of advice on ATM's. Most BPI's will give you 20,000 pesos per ATM withdrawal (I've heard they're changing it but haven't seen one yet that wouldn't give me that amount). Other banks only 10,000 which means double fees since you have to withdraw twice for the same amount.

There are a lot of places you can rent around the island for low cost. I paid 13K pesos for a month during high season (around $280 dollars). Not the cheapest, but far from the most expensive. Most dive shops will be able to put you in touch with someone to rent longer term rentals. I'd suggest renting a place for a month and then decide where you want to go if you're staying longer. It will give you an opportunity to learn the island and look at other places.

Eating out is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. If you eat at one of the many sari-sari stores or barbecues around the island it can be pretty cheap. Ging-gings is quite reasonable but be prepared to wait during busy times. If you eat at the resorts on the beach be prepared to pay prices not much different than you would pay eating out in the US. You can eat very cheaply there or it can run more than what you pay for rent or you can rent a place with a kitchen and cook. I personally opt to eat out :wink:

Toiletries etc... can be bought on the island, but of course expect to pay a bit more because everything is brought in by boat. You can send laundry out or wash it by hand.

Walking around cash really depends... that depends on a lot of variables. I didn't need much except for meals.

I wouldn't count on getting work there after completing an IDC. You're arriving during low season. I think you're going to find very little work for a brand-new instructor.

Medical I wouldn't know. There's still no doctor on the island as far as I know.

Hope that helps a little. I'm headed back to the Philippines on Tuesday. Anything I can do feel free to PM me and I'll help if I can. :coffee:

Last edited:
p1,000 per day spending money should get you all food and drink requirements.

Bring small bills as no one has change.

Get the doctors sign off before coming to the island as it's a pain in the butt to go back to get it.

The island has most basic supplies like Bill says, so generally you can survive. Any special medications or stuff like that then you should bring with you. Bring sunscreen.

Get your hair cut before arriving and expect to lose your flip flops at least once so bring a spare pair (although cheap ones of these can also be bought on island).

Have fun!

1. The exchange rate given at Cebu International is a rip off. ATM is an option but do it in the big shopping mall. Beware of pick pocket! 2km down the airport road is the Marina Mall where you will find money changers. And if you are staying at Island Stay Hotel Mactan then it is just stone throw away. There is nothing really interesting in Cebu City.
2. I won't eat at Ging-gings at any cost. Do your own cooking and make sure you eat WELL.

Have a great time.

When I go to Iloilo (used to live there for 10 years) I just use my VISA and get money from ATMs. No need to money change.

I agree that ATM's are best place to get money. One thing I can never find in SE Asia is deodorant, unless you like Axe brand stuff.

agree with everyone - for a change :). in manila - if you arrive in terminal 3 - on the ground floor after exiting immigration/baggage claim/customs there are atm machines for every taste. bill is right - the bpi is still handing out 20k at a time. as of april rsbc was as well (the atm might say (rizal commercial bank). there are also a half dozen or more bank branches located in the same area. i do disagree somewhat about the bank exchange rates, and never hesitate to exchange cash in the airport. you can get a decent enough rate from the banks there, safely, often better than on the street or in the malls, especially if you pay bank fees for using the atm - but be sure you leave the secure area after customs and do not exchange at the one or 2 windows before passing into the main part of the terminal. there is a free hot spot in the airport to confirm the current market rate. i'm not familiar with the facilities in terminal 1, so no help if that is where you come in.
if your next question is does 5 hours between flights allow you to leave, visit something in manila, and make it back in time, the answer is NO.

The money exchange booth at Cebu airport(International arrival) is NOT operated by the bank.
I have no problem changing money at the bank counters in either T1 or T3. The rate is NOT that bad.
5hr to kill in Manila! Stay at the airport unless you want to be stuck at the traffic!

All the decent hotels have onsite medical staff btw. 10k pesos cash will last 2 weeks for non diving stuff. There's 7-11 everywhere they've got all the toiletries you need if not supplied by the hotel. Cebu City has Uber which is a big plus. Bring an unlocked smartphone and buy local prepaid sim here. Globe or Smart have the best coverage. I'm in Cebu City for a few more months, after that I'll be in Dumaguete :D Don't get too hung up on the exchange rate. It goes up and down and the only difference is a one or two hundred pesos. Banks (BPI, BDO, Metrobank, Chinabank) and ATM are the safest, you don't want pickpockets targeting you at the money exchanger places.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom