Looking for Scuba gear from the movie JAWS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I may have one of the mask, I will have to find it....and just for the record, the gear is older modern gear, not vintage.
That may be a fairly rare tank, I can't tell from the photos but it may be an aluminum 72 not the common 80....and I have one of those as well. The AL-72s were only produced a couple of years, they are longer than an 80 but the diameter is less, the same as a steel 72. I will have to go look, but I think the decals are the same.

I have a pair of the infamous AL72 "cork bottles". Used to have to put weights on them when we hung them as emergency gas. They sit abandoned in my basement as they are the "bad alloy", and shops here won't even consider dealing with them. They are actually full, and been that way for about 12 years. One has a j-valve (metal hand wheel and lever), the other a k. I was going to make them into wind chimes.

If the tank was floating, it was an AL-72 rated at 2475 psig. I used to have a set of doubles made from these tanks, and put twelve points of weight on them to sink them in fresh water. Below are two photos of me by Bruce Higgins in Clear Lake wearing these tanks. You can see the tubing for the lead weights in the center of the unit in one of those photos. I don't have them now though.

RHWestfall, if those tanks have remained filled all these years, they could be developing the sustained load cracking characteristic of this aluminum alloy. I also have several AL tanks that I have "decommissioned," but they remain on display without pressure to preclude this potential problem.

SeaRat

Attachments

• John using twin AL 72s in Clear Lake.jpg
    John using twin AL 72s in Clear Lake.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 179
  • John in Clear Lake with Bill Herder's BC.jpg
    John in Clear Lake with Bill Herder's BC.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 190
Good luck in your search Brandon. Like others have said these items typically show up on ebay. As to the T6351 tanks, I too have decommissioned many "just because". They do display vintage regulators well. But I also have one or two Dacor models marked SP6493 that I use with my CVS Nautilus. Like you I like to have complete packages or period correct kits. I like your Jaws idea and may do the same. If, or rather, when you get your Jaws themed gear together we'd enjoy some pictures. Extra points if you get photographs or yourself in a shark cage.

Don

Good luck in your search Brandon. Like others have said these items typically show up on ebay. As to the T6351 tanks, I too have decommissioned many "just because". They do display vintage regulators well. But I also have one or two Dacor models marked SP6493 that I use with my CVS Nautilus. Like you I like to have complete packages or period correct kits. I like your Jaws idea and may do the same. If, or rather, when you get your Jaws themed gear together we'd enjoy some pictures. Extra points if you get photographs or yourself in a shark cage.

Don

I am hunting stuff like a mad man. I Got a lot of great screen accurate items. When I'm all set up, I'll snap some pics and post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom