looking for Tec Dive computer for a good price

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paula paz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys

I'm looking for a technical computer for tec 50, for and reasonable price. One which alow me set my own plan and gradient factors. Which would you guys recomend me considering price v/s quality?
I also heard there is some one which can be uptade for trimix if i decide go further. What do you think about those ones?

Paula

Petrel: $950, set whatever gradient factors you want, plan whatever dives you want on it, upgrades to VPM for $75, includes a gage mode, comes ready for trimix/standalone rebreather use, no crappy tap interface, advanced LCD screen is better than the AM-OLED screen on my Cobalt, eats any AA battery you can find, much better size and bungiee mounting approach than Shearwater's Predator, probably tied with Atomic Aquatics in the 'best, most flexible customer service ever' race.

That said, if you can't spend $950, look at a nice used Predator in the $650-700 range. Only real drawbacks are no gage mode (yet), larger size and less easy to bungiee, and requires Saft 3.6V lithium AAs.

Thank you guys!!!. I`ll definitely check the Petrel.
However, how do you feel about the Dive Rite NiTek Q -V2 Advanced Nitrox? It's so much cheaper than the Petrel. ($600) Do you think Petrel worth the price difference?

Thanks again

Pau
[h=3][/h]

Yep, no question. The Predator is better than the Q IMO. I'm not sure they have all the bugs worked out of the Q yet. The Shearwaters are proven performers. And their support is second to none. What I also like about them is no cable needed to down load dives or upgrade software. It hooks up via a Bluetooth dongle. The first time I did it it took me a whopping 5 minutes to pair them, connect to the site, and download the upgrade. The thing is so damn user friendly and intuitive. When I demo'd my Predator the dealer had me running through the screens, setting mixes, and planning dives with about fifteen minutes of instruction. The manual is on line and can be printed out and E Diver has a class that runs you through everything if you need to.
Another thing about the actual manual. Unlike every other dive computer manual I have seen this one looks like it was written to be read and understood by divers for divers. Not by engineers and lawyers. So refreshing to see that.

If $350 matters that much to you, maybe it's worth it. I personally don't like Dive Rite, and lump it in with Halcyon as a once small and responsive elite-level gear company that is now too bloated to provide either the best gear or the best service; but others swear by their products and service. From what I can tell, they're better than the junk Hollis is pushing, though. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the HW Frog as a less expensive alternative to the SW Petrel.

Part of the $350 savings, however, means fewer features--at least one of which you said you want. You'll have to upgrade the Q (I think this costs money but I couldn't find pricing beyond "contact Dive Rite") to include such features as (1) PC interface cable (Petrel has integrated bluetooth that is fantastic); (2) bungiee adaptor (integrated and included with Petrel); (3) customizable gradient factors (stock on Petrel); (4) 3 normoxic or 7 hypoxic gas OC trimix (Petrel allows for 5 preprogramed OC and 5 preprogramed CC mixes of any O2/He levels out of the box, and also allows the changing/adding of new mixes on the fly during a dive)...so no multi-gas deco diving with the Q, as it only allows two mixes.

The Q's plan mode seems to be NDL only...so you'll need to shell out the $80 for V-Planner if you want to cut tables. Though you should do that anyway...but being able to run deco profiles on the Petrel is a nice feature. The Q lacks some other helpful info the Petrel can display, like tissues, GF%, and @+5. Read the Q and the Petrel manuals if you haven't already.

The Q also says its user rechargable battery is good for about 3 yrs of 50 dives a year. I have no idea what it costs to replace the Q's battery, but I plan on diving my Petrel for more than 3 years and I definitely dive more than 50 dives a year...so I feel pretty good about my 'eats any AA batteries' approach. Another point: the Q has a charger port plug you must have in place when you dive. Seeing as how the X1 and Cobalt have managed to include chargable batteries without such crappy design compromises, I don't see why that was necessary... but yeah, great way to flood your $600 computer there.

Based on an old SB post, it looks like some Q upgrades may be priced as follows:

$50 for profile downloading, plus PC interface cost
$100 digital compass upgrade (just buy the SK7 in a DSS boot FFS!)

See also: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dive-rite/410621-nitek-q-software.html

Value for money would be soft ware + 2 BT.
The Uwatec 330 BT will last many yrs without ever requiring change of battery. You just throw the thing in the thrash bin!!!

Cut tables and BTs is a fine way to dive, particularly for tech, but isn't what the OP asked about. You shouldn't need a computer to figure out your deco requirements for the dive plan and contingencies, but it's nice to have a sanity check if you can afford it.

The Petrel is fantastic computer. Dr. Lecter pretty much nailed all the features.

$350 might seem like alot but the feature set and platform you are getting is worth the cost of entry. Also the base Q is only Nitrox and as you add the features you need down the road the price gap will shrink. Granted you won't be shelling out as much at the start but you'll also end up with a (in my opinion) less capable computer.

The layout is simple and intuitive, you can change your GF factor depending on your dive and you can setup and switch gas very easily. Also I love that you can configure what information is displayed on the center row - GF% and @+5.

Shearwater has some great videos on Youtube if you want to see the operation:
Petrel Introduction - YouTube

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom