Looking for trip destination recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First thing.... spend $10 and buy the MAP/Guide to Cozumel here: cancunmap.com-Maps and travel guides.Your information source to Cancun,Cozumel,Isla Mujeres & Riviera Maya
It will show you where everything is located on the island, all types of activities, etc. You will better understand hotel and dive op recommendations! It is really the best $10 you can spend on your trip. It also has a reef map, info on restaurants in town, everything you will want to know. I don't have a financial interest in the map, I just truly believe every Cozumel visitor should get one, they really really help! I got mine after my first trip there and wished I had it before, it would have helped us make better decisions for sure.

robin

As suggested the Keys are a good choice for inexpensive if you're in the US already, nice too to start your diving careers having to plan, execute and navigate your own dives as typically the dive masters don't get in the water with you like they do in Cozumel.

Good point. There are some Keys op.s who do put a dive guide in the water; Rainbow Reef Dive Center comes to mind. But not all do, so if you want a guided dive, check with the op. you're considering and find out what they offer.

Richard.

and used the $1500 of resort credits to dive with the inhouse dive Op, AquaSafari - it literally cost us $13.25 a piece to do 2 tanks dives for 5 days!! AWESOME DEAL. T

Can you use the 1500 credit for the specialty courses such as drift diving or night diving??

I have been to Cozumel twice and feel that one should get the PADI AOW at least and preferably the Deep Diver certification before going there. It follows that some expereince is necessary and IMO it is not ideal for the first major trip after just the OW. The best dives is Cozumel tend to be deep and there is always a lot of drift diving, which might be a bit overwhelming for relative beginners.

Why don't you consider Bonaire instead for a first outing?

Nothing wrong with hitting Coz after just OW certification .... I'd say the caveat to that would be 1. to make sure the dive op you pick is aware of your limited experience; 2. make sure the op is aware of your depth limitations; and 3. possibly hire a private DM for a few days.

For us, our first Coz dives were #18 & 19 (Belize was #16 & 17.) After Lake certification, and only a few lake dives, blue water & drift diving was scary .... for about 10 minutes! Then I was hooked! Out of the places we've been, Coz is our favorite. The diving, the people, the food ... all make it a great place to go. Also love Bonaire, but after blowing out the back, all the shore diving is too much for me these days. Another plus side to Coz diving (or as we call it Lazy diving!) is you fall in, the current does the work for you, then the boat follows you to pick you up when you surface! Of course where ever you decide to go, you'll likely have a blast, and become just as dive-addicted as the rest of us!!

We stayed at the Cozumel Palace (All Inclusive) and used the $1500 of resort credits to dive with the inhouse dive Op, AquaSafari - it literally cost us $13.25 a piece to do 2 tanks dives for 5 days!! AWESOME DEAL.

I've stayed at Cozumel Palace twice and agree using their resort credit program for the diving is a great deal. AquaSafari runs a couple of boats a day, and generally match up similar experience levels on the boats. We had some new divers with us on the trips and they did a great job of selecting sites that was suited to their experience level. They can also set you up with a dedicated dive master or instructor (for an additional charge) if it would make you more comfortable on your dives.

Palace is also close to town so there are options for the non-divers while you are on the boat. They also have a decent reef for snorkeling right in front of the resort.

I second on getting your AOW, if not hire a private DM. I'm a newbie and did my OWD at Lake Pleasant in Az in Sep 2013 and my big trip was to Bali,Dec 2013. I did several more dives to the lake and several dives at San Carlos,Mexico to get comfortable with my gear and buoyancy. I did my AWD in Bali w 30 dives, deep, night, nitrox, and current/waves/tides, the 1St week I was there. The 2nd week, it was fun dives. We encounter a ripped current and shelter ourselves near a reef. My guide noticed it before we did. Also, one of the owner of Bali Diving went w us on one of the advanced sites; Mangrove, Crystal Bay, and Manta Point for extra eyes and it was 4:1 ratio! He rescued my dive buddy from Korea. I also lost my BC weight pocket the week before when I dove w Bali Bubbles for my AWD, and my guide,Rudi, from Bali Diving found my weight pocket and gave it to me. Anyway, we will be in Cozumel on Mar 7-14 and staying at Park Royal and will be diving w Scuba Mau. It will be our first time in Cozumel. Now, I have 80 dives and my husband has 30 dives,but this will be his first drift dives so I will hire a DM. He is an air hog and his maximum time is 45mins. I'm hoping he will get to 60mins. I believed he prefer cattle boat like Pro Dive w maximum bottom time of 45mins. I prefer small group, it's easier for the DM to keep their eyes on us just in case someone needs a little attention. I still considered myself as a newbie, eventhough, I have taken my stress and rescue specialty to get my Master Diver Card. I'm hoping to get my Century Card in Grand Cayman/Little Cayman in June for my birthday month. I'm still learning and trying to improving my skills. I hope you'll have a great and safe dive wherever you are staying!

I'm not trying to contradict what others have suggested about getting AOW certified, but in my experience and observation, there really isn't a need to get your AOW.

My first trip to Coz, was in 2011 and I had only been certified in 2008 (Roatan). Although i have been diving in creeks and rivers for a long time, I had not been in open water before 2008. I was a bit nerveous about diving "current" in Coz, but after the first tank, my reservations had subsided as it was almost like being back in the river with the exception of the depth.

Once you're comfortable, It's really the best diving one could ask for... I had a 12 year old on my boat in 2011 who had just been certified (completed his checkout dives just that week).

I stay with Scuba Club Cozumel and dive with them too. They have a nice little shore dive area right in front of the resort that is great for snorkeling or a quick "checkout your gear dive". It's close to town and some really good restaurants, but isn't what i would call "4 or 5 star property". It has everything i need, but I am there to dive, eat, sleep, dive, eat, sleep..... :)

They have nice larger boats that are great to dive from, gives you plenty of room to move around, and has a head too. Dive groups usually consist of 8 divers per DM.

Just my 2 cents.... Enjoy

Can you use the 1500 credit for the specialty courses such as drift diving or night diving??

Not sure about courses, but we did use credits for our night dives.

Bonaire is awesome and some super easy dive sites are all over the place. Shore diving at numerous locations. No need to do dive boats at all. you can book dives with guides if it makes you more comfortable..

---------- Post added September 20th, 2014 at 09:21 AM ----------

dive boats off West Palm Beach do have guides on many of the boats. I have used dive boat Narcosis in the past and they were great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom