Looking into buying a HID light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working out some stuff with them, and some guys that make stuff for them, and guys they make stuff for?! But it will probably end up being a majority of their components.

micbu:
Are you talking about the Brighstar darkbuster?
http://www.brightstar-hid.com/product_info_e.php?UID=772

It is not available yet, they have some leaking problems. Me too I am already waiting for it, I ordered also some of them for my shop.
I was told that they will be delivered to the shops at the end of this month.

Greetings, Michael

boomx5:
Doesn't Barry make those for SeaElite? By the way, what happened to the "Teen Wolf" avatar?
Yes, that is a Salvo light made by Barry Miller. Cheaper than anything on his site, though.

As for the other avatar...... arrr, I didn't like me hair.

BTW, Barry's lights (Salvo) use the "indestructible" Brightstar bulb also. I'm told you can bang it, hot strike it, turn it on and right off... whatever. It has a little yellower look to it.

My 21w cost a little more than $299.00, though....

Rick Inman:
My 21w cost a little more than $299.00, though....

Yes...that's the thing isn't it! :33:

Still - I would like to hear that the earlier mentioned leaking issues were taken care of.

Tom Winters:
That is one cool link.
it is a cool link, but the light needs a goodman handle.. then we're talking a total re-design for it, aren't we? :D

Larry,

Any prospective canister-style lights in your inventory anytime soon? maybe 10w HID, wreck-style lights...

Scott

Hello CIMI Diver,

Chad Blower here form Metalsub USA, I’m the distributor for Metalsub products in the US and Canada, so I am somewhat bias on the subject of dive lights. I will give you my opinion on what you should look for in a good dive light for shipwreck diving without trying to sell you a Metalsub light (to hard:wink: ).

Opinion #1: Don’t buy a 10 Watt HID, you'll end up deciding a few months later that you need a brighter light. I made this mistake myself, I bought a Light Cannon 100, it showed me HID was the way to go but three months later I upgraded to a 50 Watt HID and have used and loved it for two dive seasons now.

Opinion #2: Spend the extra money and get a light with a battery large enough to last two or three dives a day. If you’re diving shipwrecks at 120 ft chances are you will need the light on for most of the dive, and you will only get a chance to recharge the light at night while you sleep. I would recommend a minimum burn time of around two hours.

Opinion #3: Cable lights with Goodman handles are very good for cutting down on hand/arm fatigue and freeing your hands up for doing other tasks.

Opinion #4: Buy a spotlight, every good spotlight can be turned into a good flood light by buying diffusion foil from a photo store, its cheap and fast and you can put it on underwater when needed.

I will agree with “scubatoys,” and will go a step further buy a 24 Watt or higher HID.

And with Stephan Ash, “don't skimp...get the best.” But go to www.Metalsub-USA.com

If you have any questions about Metalsub HID lights, please ask I will answer all your questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom