Looking to buy an OMS IQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba11b

Reaction score
I think I've narrowed down my next purchase. I currently have a Aqualung Cousteau RDS, but I'm looking for something less bulky. Can anyone tell me the best online deal for an OMS IQ harness with a 45 lb wing. I'll be using a single tank, probably aluminum for now, but I'm in mostly lakes and quarries with a 7 mil suit. Also, should I go for the SS backplate to take weight off my waist?

Thanks

I am going to sit way out on my limb here with my long neck stuck out and say that I don't recommend purcashing the IQ pack online.

The OMS IQ is a great BC (see my other posts), but due to some of it's details, it's best to go with the LDS on this purchase.

These details include:
  • sizing
  • setup (including tieing the wing and other little things that can make all the difference)
  • post sale customer service when you have questions or need help with tweaking.
And I'll defer to to Lost Yooper and the othes with more experience on the back plate question.

To refute the "lungs of steel" thing....

I have found no difference in the amount of effort it takes to inflate my OMS wing (45# bungeed) versus the one on my Zeagle Ranger.

Also, if you think about it, while oral inflation is a necessary "evil", the chance of ever doing it is somewhat low (requires lots of other things going wrong first).

Originally posted by scuba11b
...Can anyone tell me the best online deal for an OMS IQ harness with a 45 lb wing...

Relative merits of this choice aside, the best you're probably going to do is at LeisurePro (www.leisurepro.com). I think the "backpack" and wings are probably about $400 altogether.

It'd be a lot cheaper if you just got a backplate, made your own harness, and then bought your wings of choice. AUL (www.aulinc.com) carries FredT's backplates and makes their own as well. They also sell harness-making materials.

Chris

The relative costs of both the backplate/halcyon wing are not that much better than the OMS... especially if you are going to want to add intregrated weights, pockets, etc to the bag. For wome those are just extra bells and whistles, for others (like myself) thats the difference between making "do" and a really great BC. Give me my OMS (or give my Oceanic Chute II).

Thanks to everyone who replied... assuming I do decide to get the IQ, what add-ons will I need? I was planning on getting the no-sag pockets and a SS backplate...do I need the single tank adapter or does the IQ have the cam bands built in? (I can't really tell from the desciption on their website.) Also, do the no-sag pockets work as integrated weight pockets?

Thanks again!

Do the No-Sag Pockets work as weight integration pockets? Yes, the rear zippered are where you can insert the weights. And they do have a dump handle hidden underneath so you can just yank and drop

Do the tank cam bands come with the IQ system? If you order from your LDS, definitely. If you order from Online source...possibly not.

Do you need the STA if you get the SS BP? No, the tank cam bands will work with the IQ pack and the SS BP just fine without the STA. One trick is to use a zip tie throught he holes in the harness system, the BP, and the wing to keep it all "steady" as you mount it all to your tank.

And though others have mentioned getting your IQ system from online sources. This I do not recommend since there are several little details and variables that can best be handled by your LDS. The online sources might not get these right resulting in a few customer service phone calls to folks who are not familiar with this system.

Back
Top Bottom