Looking to do Friday night beach dives in Malibu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Friday Night divers! Anyone up for Malibu day after tomorrow?? Looks like the weather is finally turning warm - it may be downright comfortable down there! Of course it's also condition-dependent - right now the waves look higher than I would want to chance:

Maximum Estimated Wave Heights (face height in feet)
Surf SpotWNW Waves
(face height)
SSW Waves
(face height)
El Capitan
Leadbetter5.51.2
Rincon Point6.71.5
Ventura C-St.4.34.8
County Line6.85.4
Malibu
Hermosa8.42.4

But I'll keep watching it. I'm going out on the Pacific Star to Catalina early Saturday so I can't stay late, but if the wave profile improves and anyone wants to join me, I can be there by, say, 5:30-ish.

Anyone? :blinking:

Hello Friday Night divers! Anyone up for Malibu day after tomorrow?? Looks like the weather is finally turning warm - it may be downright comfortable down there! Of course it's also condition-dependent - right now the waves look higher than I would want to chance...
But I'll keep watching it. I'm going out on the Pacific Star to Catalina early Saturday so I can't stay late, but if the wave profile improves and anyone wants to join me, I can be there by, say, 5:30-ish.

Anyone? :blinking:
The weather has been gorgeous all week so far. Waves haven't looked that big the last two days, more like 1-2 feet, at least east of Point Dume. Water still looks pretty gray within 30 feet of shore, but looks relatively clear out past that. Not too bad tide change on Friday afternoon, but still a bit (Santa Monica tide listed)

2012-04-20 3:20 PM PDT 1.24 feet Low Tide
2012-04-20 7:29 PM PDT Sunset
2012-04-20 9:30 PM PDT 5.44 feet High Tide

I think I can probably make it, but also can't stay late - need to start getting ready to leave early Sunday for a week in Maui :)

Where in Malibu are you thinking of diving? East or west of Point Dume (or north/south depending on how you think of the coast)?

---------- Post added April 18th, 2012 at 07:22 PM ----------

Just got home from walking my dog down to Westward Beach. Chalkboard at PDS lifeguard said 1-2 ft waves, but it looked more like 2-4 ft to me. Still diveable. Waves looked a little smaller toward Zuma and Broad Beach.

Whales are still off the beach some times, but I've been missing them this week

UGH! I just found out my INLAWS are coming tomorrow, staying through Friday! :furious: Friday night's out for me - dammit. Certainly y'all can dive without me...but you won't have my homemade cookies! :wink:

Let's re-convene next Friday...and this time I don't care if the PRESIDENT is coming - I'm going diving!

UGH! I just found out my INLAWS are coming tomorrow, staying through Friday! :furious:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to take off every night to go diving. Underwater, no one can hear your inlaws scream at you

Say hi to Obama for me next week; I'll still be out of town, but am up for the Friday after next

stevensamler- if you want to shoot diving for this Friday (tomorrow), I'm still game

Sounds like the perfect excuse to take off every night to go diving. Underwater, no one can hear your inlaws scream at you

LOL! It's more about nobody hearing ME scream. :wink:

Sorry you won't be able to make next Friday, Geoff. Which means we'll have to rely on the published wave reports rather than your expert eyewitness accounts. I just hope the good weather holds out! I'm truly seriously bummed about missing out diving tomorrow night. My only consolation is that I'm heading out to Catalina on the Pacific Star on Saturday Morning (after the inlaws are gone :D) so at least I'll get some diving in this weekend.

Hope you guys get out there tomorrow - it's looking great weather-wise!

I'll keep posting updates as we get closer to next Friday.

Be sure to give a full report, so I can dive vicariously through you! :D

Hi Geoff , i'm in lets give it a shot it seems you have a good idea on where to dive so i can meet you where ever you name it . steve.

I just got back from getting a new wetsuit for my wife at Malibu Divers and the water along PCH looked pretty flat, like under 2 feet waves, so tomorrow should be pretty good.

Since we haven't dived together, I suggest we start somewhere easy, like Malibu Rd. See Malibu Rd beach dive - Google Maps for Google map of the area. Your location says Culver City, so Malibu Rd is about 15 minutes closer than the Broad Beach area and probably smaller waves right now. Meet sometime 6:15-6:30?

Anyone else joining us?

Be sure to give a full report, so I can dive vicariously through you! :D

Please do the same regarding your in-laws :) In-laws vs. diving - that's a tough call!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom