Looking to do Friday night beach dives in Malibu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard that viz is terrible in Malibu right now. less than 3 ft. Anyone know what the viz looks like?
A couple of hours ago Malibu Divers tweeted 10 ft viz, but yesterday reported 5-8 ft and green

Malibu has never been known for its great vis. :wink: 10 ft I can live with! Geoff, you guys still planning on going tonight? I look forward to your dive report! I'll be out on the Pacific Star tomorrow at Catalina, so I'll be sure to post a report as well.

Malibu has never been known for its great vis. :wink: 10 ft I can live with! Geoff, you guys still planning on going tonight? I look forward to your dive report!
As far as I know, Steve and I are going out diving at Malibu Rd tonight early evening, meeting a little after 6 -- as long as conditions aren't awful. Nobody else chimed in, so I'm not expecting any others as of now. Last night I got invited to dinner with friends to plan a bareboat sailing charter / dive trip to Belize in June, so I've got to get going right after we finish the dive. I'll post how the dive goes

10 ft viz in the evening is doable with a new dive buddy; under 3 ft viz is really hard even with a familiar dive buddy. We'll see how it goes. Waves were pretty small this morning, but I haven't been outside since early

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 05:28 PM ----------

Dive is canceled. I talked to Malibu Divers a short time ago - viz was 3 feet at best last night, and they checked across the street and said it wasn't any better than yesterday. I'm not sure if the sun came out along the coast in Malibu today. Steve and I talked and decided it's not worth it for a first dive together, or having him drive up here in traffic on a Friday with a good chance of canceling. So rain check, with lots more Malibu dives planned for Friday nights. After all, this is supposed to be fun!

Sorry to hear that the vis was so bad and you had to cancel your dive. That's definitely not an uncommon scenario in Malibu. I do hope it clears up soon! You're right, diving is supposed to be fun, and I personally do not find it to be fun when I can't see my hand in front of me. I once did a dive at Leo Carrillo headed out for an inviting patch of kelp, but once we got in the water it was pretty much a total black-out. We couldn't even see each other right to each other! We bailed.

While it sucks that Malibu is suffering such bad vis, Catalina is experiencing the opposite! We dove three sites at Catalina yesterday, and ALL of them had pretty incredible vis. We were at Emerald Bay, Indian Rock and Isthmus, and there were spots where the vis opened up to a good 40-50 ft! WOW! On the second dive the vis started to get cloudy near the surface, which at first I didn't realize was due to a bloom of bazillions of tiny jellies! Once I noticed them I was transfixed. I've never actually seen anything like that before.

Anyway, I'll post a separate thread with my dive report and a few photos. Meanwhile let's just keep trying for a Fri night dive. The vis is bound to clear up one of these days.

Well, here we go again - looks like this Friday will be a blow-out as well, after the fast-moving rain storm that blew through here last night. I'm sure the vis won't be any better than it was last Friday.

So...let's just keep hoping for next Friday! :D We WILL have a Friday night dive one of these days soon.

Well, here we go again - looks like this Friday will be a blow-out as well, after the fast-moving rain storm that blew through here last night. I'm sure the vis won't be any better than it was last Friday.

So...let's just keep hoping for next Friday! :D We WILL have a Friday night dive one of these days soon.

Just saw this thread and I would be interested in diving Malibu!! Friday nights work, as do weekends. Fingers crossed for some good viz....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom