Looking to invest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello-- I've done a ton of diving and I'm pretty sure I'm ready to buy in to a dive shop. If anyone knows any threads I might look at to see if anything is for sale in Hawaii, I would appreciate it. I am looking for warm water and part of the USA.
Haven't had much luck just wandering around the 'net'. Thanks if you can help, thanks if you can't.

Have you tried going to Hawaii on this quest

There is a Hawaii section on this board.

Hello-- I've done a ton of diving and I'm pretty sure I'm ready to buy in to a dive shop. If anyone knows any threads I might look at to see if anything is for sale in Hawaii, I would appreciate it. I am looking for warm water and part of the USA.
Haven't had much luck just wandering around the 'net'. Thanks if you can help, thanks if you can't.

If you want to continue diving, and not be broke, I would suggest taking your money and investing it in something safe, then take dive trips when you feel like it.

A SCUBA shop is a great way to turn $2M into $1M, then into some leftover crap in your garage that nobody wanted but was "too good to throw out"

Profitable SCUBA shops are rare and those that are profitable take nearly 100% of the owner's time.

flots.

Be wary of making your joy your work.

At least here all successfull shops are run by people who have another- day time job

I read wanting to "buy in" to a dive shop as different from wanting to buy and run one. There's no shortage of dive shops here, but I question whether any of them want/need the capital infusion/control headaches an investing partner would bring to the table. Of course, one major operator, Ocean Concepts, just went belly-up...so extra capital is not outside the realm of necessity. But is that really what you're looking to buy, a business on its last legs?

From what little I've seen, the only real utility for extra capital at most HI operations would be tech-friendly facilities/gear like rental doubles/stages, high pressure capable compressors, and real gas blending capabilities -- all of which are utterly lacking here, despite a few shops' efforts in that direction. However, there's not much market for that stuff because there's precious little worth doing tech diving for in Hawaii. Aside from a few around 200', most wrecks are either way outside divable range or within 120', and I'm not aware of any real cave systems to speak of here aside from the various Oahu karsts that seem to be pretty much unexplored.

Maybe some operations could do more/better business if they had a boat of their own/better or more boats...but in general I think that kind of need would not be enough to justify the issues caused by adding a major investor.

I love this post....I recently moved here and work at a shop.....I'm a Tec instructor And I have so many potential clients but I am unable to PROPERLY train them with the "blending" station I am provide with and equipment, therefore I don't push the classes and literally am unable to get the classes up and running without ridiculous expenses. I tried asking about Dive Rite etc....but it seems the shop is stuck in the past and only cater to intro and OW people and don't really push for continuing education which is my main strong point, especially the technical side of house

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom