Looking to move to coastal area in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Good day all!

Well at 44 years of age the last of my children are heading off to college and I finally get to start over in life. Raising three kids alone I have ignored my personal life for the last 9 years and I am currently considering a move to the coastal area of North Carolina.

For those of you with the experience, I am looking for recommended areas to research.
I have my pension from the Police Department, own two business, and run a dive shop here in Missouri, so employment is not a concern.

I am currently researching the Wilmington area, however, am not sold yet. I am looking for a diversity of activities and access, a local airport is a necessity. I plan to do a lot of travel from here on out. :D I will be making several visits this summer to scout the areas. As a single, close net or bedroom communities are not on the menu, for now anyway. :wink:

Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
Hall

Be sure to check out the Morehead, Beaufort area. Not as busy as Wilmimngton with great diving.

Excellent, thank you for your suggestion.

I am looking for a diversity of activities and access, a local airport is a necessity. I plan to do a lot of travel from here on out. :D I will be making several visits this summer to scout the areas. As a single, close net or bedroom communities are not on the menu, for now anyway. :wink:

Hall

What distance from an airport would you consider "local"

Check out the Shallotte area. It's between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, SC. The wife has a house for sale overlooking the river, ICW and the ocean at Shallotte Point.

I am currently considering a move to the coastal area of North Carolina. ... I am currently researching the Wilmington area, however, am not sold yet. I am looking for a diversity of activities and access, a local airport is a necessity.
When you mention airport, I will presume you mean 'commercial' not general aviation. And, at least for NC that really does focus the options on the Wilmington area (including outlying communities like Shallotte). Both are great areas (Beaufort/Morehead City and Wilmington). Wilmington has the AP, a university campus and perhaps a little more diversity of activity. If you broaden your mid-Atlantic search just a bit to the north and south, you might include the Norfolk/Va Beach area, and the Charleston area.

I would recomend the Southport / Oakisland area.My girlfriend and I are advid divers so we live in Southport NC. There is a private Airport in oak Island. She is a marine Biologist for the state and does marine studys on the side. there are great dive site here but you may find a few more up north near moorehead. thats just my recomendation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom