Lord Howe Island - Australia - Operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DontLieToMe

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be going there in January 2007. Any recommendations on dive operators or diving in the area?

There are two operations - ProDive and Howea Divers. I will be sure to do a trip report.

DontLieToMe:
I will be going there in January 2007. Any recommendations on dive operators or diving in the area?

I look forward to seeing your trip report. Lord Howe Island has always been one of the places that I want to go someday.

Rickg

Hello, not sure if anyone still has an interest in this subject, but I can report that I just returned from a trip to Lord Howe Island (February 2014) and had a great time, I can recommend ProDive, they were great and I had some fantastic diving with them.

The only thing that was not good was the weather, February 2014 has been cloudy, windy, and rainy in the South Pacific and it hit me at LHI as well.

Did not make it to Ball's Pyramid as the weather did not allow it, but saw everything from turtles to Galapagos sharks, rays, and moray eels at both the oceanic sites, and in the LHI lagoon.

If you decide to go be flexible with the travel dates, there is only one daily flight from Qantas from Sydney (and occasionally another one of two from other Australian locations), and if the weather is warm or there is no wind your bag(s) may be left behind (the Qantas Dash 8 has less lift under those conditions and, if the plane is full, they start to offload bags)... and oh... be prepared to be weighed yourself with your carry on luggage in hand!

There are some really good restaurants on the island, and I can recommend Hideaway Apartments to stay, but the vibe is mostly Aussie retirees and after 9 pm the place is dead.

Happy diving /Rick

Unfortunately as you found out - February puts you right smack bang in the middle of cyclone/ wet season. Glad you had a good time anyway.

Went to LHI in the second week of the Easter Holidays, so lucky with the weather, perfect 6 days out of the 8, and the other 2 wernt that bad! Really nice diving, pro dive were great, really friendly. The snorkeling of Neds beach is really special, swam with a turtle, heaps beautiful place. Food is expensive, but most places have a 'special' dinner or lunch, highly recommend the fish and chips night at the golf club (Wednesday).

Peter

Back
Top Bottom