losing weights / uncontrolled ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll put in my 2 cents on this too. Try not to have all your weight ditchable so if it does fall out it's less. Check your weight pouches and if velcro press the velcro to make sure it's locked. With buoyancy problems intervene early as the longer you wait the worse it gets. So dump air promptly and kick down. If near the bottom you can then find your weights or pick up a rock or use kelp.

As mentioned above, i also try to have 3 to 4 lb if i use weights.If needed more i will use the bc pockets or tied the weights on the harness.That way if you loose the belt or doing a CESA you can have a safer ascent.4lb is controllable.

I have a diverite transpac BC.

The weights are in pockets which are velcro'ed and then have a clip which secures them further. But Assuming somehow, magically these weights fell off and I started heading rapidly up towards the top.

What would I want to do in that situation ? I use about ten pounds of weight, total.
.....IMO, before that 'magical' moment happens, I'd go back & review some of my basic scuba instruction--certainly you're joking-------------------right???............:)

What I've read suggests that it's better to have enough ditchable weight to ensure you can make a buoyant ascent rather than putting too much weight in non-ditchable pockets. Ensure that you have positive buoyancy with an empty BCD after releasing your ditchable weight.

The 1st thing I do when I get to my target depth is snug up my weight belt and harness. Never had a weight slip off. I split my weight (cold water diver) between my belt and the pockets on my harness. Ten pounds (for you) isn't much to split up, the advise you've gotten is spot on.

Go back and ask your OW instructor... this should have been (was?) covered in you're OW course.

Great advice. [shakehead]

Folks - this is the "Advanced Scuba Discussions" forum. I'd suggest that a discussion of remedial Open Water topics properly belongs in "New To Diving" or "Basic Scuba Discussion." The discussion of "what do do if you're in deco" between divers that don't have enough dives/certs between them to qualify for a Deco course is likely to end up in the "Incidents and Accidents" forum eventually - especially if the best advice offered is "stay down and come up with a plan."

The other advantage of posting such topics in "New Divers..." or "Basic Scuba..." forums is that those are both Flame-Free zones, where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. (By posts like mine.)

:D

And you obviously "get off" on it as your posts are almost always of this nature. Why bother?

If you lose your ballast at depth, dump the air from your BC. You will most likely be perfectly weighted.. depending on wetsuit, depth etc.

If you can't retreive the lead, then look for a rock or chunk of something heavy to compensate for the lost lead.

If you can't do that, possibly climb up an anchor line.

If you can't do that, let your buddy know and start the ascent right away.

You should most likely be fine for a good portion of the ascent as the suit expands.

At some point you will feel yourself getting close to neutral, hopefully this is around 30 feet or so.. try to do your safety stop there.. being a little deeper than normal is not going to hurt you and up to this point you should have zero exertion. stop at the minimum depth where you are neutral without lead.

After 3 minutes or so, you will have to begin the final ascent. I would lay on my back, spread eagle and concentrate on breathing shallowly and avoid full inhalations. All the drag from this position will reduce your ascent rate considerably. again with near zero exertion, you just stay rigid and spread out.

Ride it to the surface, MAYBE when you reach 10 feet roll over and kick down GENTLY for the last 15-20 seconds.

losing 10 lbs should be a minor problem.

Some day i am going to make a video of this.

And you obviously "get off" on it as your posts are almost always of this nature. Why bother?

image.png

:d <<< "Smiley Face" emoticon, in case you missed it.

Last edited:

Why bother? Because someone went through the trouble of making different sites for different subject matter and skill levels that's why.

Whatever. I think everyone has seen posts placed in the "wrong" site.

And yes, I saw the smiley. It accentuates the point! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom