Back Inflate vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’m just wondering why there is all the hullabaloo over the difference and even animosity between a quality tech style back inflate BC as compared to a modular BP/W.

I currently have two BC’s. A Zeagle Ranger for diving the PAC NW drysuit diving and a Zeagle Stiletto for diving tropics in a 3mm or even just a rashguard. Both have a multitude of adjustment and now that I have them dialed they are 100% good to go without ANY further adjustments or configurations. Just pack and go. No further adjustments needed.

I get that the price of a BP/W is going to be less than two top tier BC’s……. but my focus on this post is really about which is better when in actual use.

My two BC’s in my opinion seem to offer anything and everything that the BP/W’s do…… only more. The harness is totally comfortable and offers a lot of options such as integrated pockets, D-Rings, attachment points, etc. Plus, both of my BC’s offer rear trim pockets of non ditchable weight that will hold more weight than an aluminum or SS backplate will provide. Plus, I don’t need to haul that weight when traveling because weights at desinations are provided and I can simply insert them into my rear trim pockets

For those that do not want or feel the need for ditchable weight with their “ripcdord” system, then the Zeagles ample weight “pockets” can then be used for many other storage options such as DSMB’s, SMB’s, Signal Mirror, Spare mask, finstrap, maskstrap, o-rings, car fob..etc.

So bottom line……………….why do some folks feel that a BP/W so much superior to a quality tech back inflate BC such as the Ranger or Stiletto?

Thanks….. and Cheers!!!

For me that's easy. I have back issues and the BP/W in SS is rock solid and very stable as well as less weight. When I travel I use an Aluminum BP/W and is rock solid and very stable. Also has trim pockets, also has D rings, also has detachable weight pockets. As well as a Y crotch strap for scooters...to each his own but with my back I can't dive anymore with a Zeagle. I use to own a Ranger and even before that a Concept

I don't think the BP/W folk have animosity toward those with all-in-one back inflate BCs. Maybe bemusement toward some of them, but not animosity. I can't speak for the other direction.

Why I find BP/W superior, for me:

- Extremely modular. Many companies make interchangeable instances of the core parts: webbing, plate and wing, plus a wide variety of compatible pockets.
- Extremely durable. It is really hard to mess up a metal plate, metal hardware or 2" webbing.
- Defered choices. Want many pockets, few pockets, no pockets. Want to change your mind often, or by the day. Want green, red, blue, purple or pink webbing or wing? All possible.
- Less bulk. From images of those BCs, a BP/W can have less clutter.
- Light to travel if you want. Aluminum plates, cut out steel or carbon fiber ones are likely little or no heavier than your BCD.
- Weight naturally above the lungs if you go with a steel plate, forming part of the structure without taking up extra space.
- Option of how to rig the shoulders. Making adding shoulder trim pockets feasible and easy. Not so feasible with some all-in-one that have big padded shoulder straps that widen as they join the back shell.

I'm happy your BCs work well for you though.

I have a standard BP/W, a freedom plate and a sidemount rig. Each for different recreational dives types.

(Have you heard of our recreational Lord and Savior the Freedom plate? :)
Not needed as the first step, all gear compatible with other plates.)

Oh boy... Here we go again....

@OP - in my case, NONE of those options you've mentioned work, and I went back to a jacket style travel BC.

You have two back inflates but didn’t mention how many backplate setups you have.

You have two back inflates but didn’t mention how many backplate setups you have.
None.... My two BC's provide everything that I need and I don't EVER need to make any adjustments or changes.. Just pack and go depending on if I'm diving drysuit in the PAC NW or tropical.. .

Sounds like you’ve got all the answers you need and you’re the one with animosity.

If I am mistaken then try one out.

If I am correct, screw it, dive however you want and extend the same courtesy to others.

You’ve been on this board for 17 years and ask a question like that? Why?

For me that's easy. I have back issues and the BP/W in SS is rock solid and very stable as well as less weight.

Why is a BP/W more solid and stable and with less weight? Both my Ranger and Stiletto have dual tank straps, are very stable...... and weight is weight. Please tell me why a BPW with a plate has less weight than a back inflate BC where the weight is fully optional?

You nailed it with "I have two setups."
In this month, my backplate and harness was on a set of backmount mini doubles with a chest mounted rebreather in Florida. It was on a set of regular large doubles in Florida. It was on a backmount rebreather in Ohio. It was on a set of backmount aluminum doubles in Mexican caves. It was on a single tank setup in Cozumel. The only time I use a different setup is when I dive sidemount.
It works for everything. It doesn't need any pockets or trim weights. It has everything needed for literally any type of diving I do in the world. Adding to that, I get about 1000 dives out of a $20 piece of webbing. BCs work jut fine, but they aren't in the same league for modularity.

Why is a BP/W more solid and stable and with less weight? Both my Ranger and Stiletto have dual tank straps, are very stable...... and weight is weight. Please tell me why a BPW with a plate has less weight than a back inflate BC where the weight is fully optional?
Because your Ranger and Stileto have inherent buoyancy. Throw them in a dunk tank, they float. You have to add weight to counteract its own buoyancy before adding for yours.
Harness webbing is neutral. Plates are negative regardless of material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom