Back Inflate vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what's confusing about "free flow". I believe he replaced it with a spare normal hose someone else had with them.
Nothing confusing about it except you mentioned a problem and didn't specify what caused the freeflow. Was it a missing or dislodged gasket? Stuck valve? Etc...

What was the problem you eluded to? I like pull dumps, but you have to understand they're a simple cable pulling on plastic. If you yank on the damn thing you're likely to damage it. Don't rinse your hose and the cable can rust and break (wife's did that). I like them only because it is right there on my chest where my hands normally relax to since I often have a camera with me. I'm not having to reach back and tilt to get air out at my left butt dump. My current wing (hog) only has the 1 dump valve and I'm too cheap to buy a pull dump that is designed to fit their odd size threads. Raising the inflator is an easy way for wing water ingress and more movement than the butt dump.
I like having one, although I tend to use mine somewhat minimally and carefully, due to stories of people accidentally pulling them off. It can be somewhat nice, if I have difficulty accessing or finding the dump to the rear, which occasionally happens.

Tip: If you use 2-hands, one to pull the end, and the other on the hose, you can pull the cord, without putting any strain on the threads.

You've been here for 17 years. Some common reasons for picking a BP/W for a new BC have been described many times, including above.

I'm happy your existing BCs work well for you. Have fun diving them.
Someone else was assailing OP for being on SB for 17 years and asking basic or repeated questions. That is not fair. This thread is over 9 pages long in a brief period of time, so must have been a good question to ask :) Some topics just never get old and fun to rehash :) Strong work OP!

Here it is, another one with no idea and he got some stick ons to differentiate between the buttons

Learn your gear by feel folks all by feel gear up on the boat by feel makes your stomach happier too

Look directly ahead this is my gift to you

337 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

ooba dooba bloo bloo blub blub glug barf

Tip: If you use 2-hands, one to pull the end, and the other on the hose, you can pull the cord, without putting any strain on the threads.

Hey mate, can you video this latest invention of yours, and we can get Pebblejohn to pitch it to PADI

What's next mate the double headed tennis racquet so you have twice the chance of hitting your balls

The best thing about Zombie Horses is you get to have a 2nd go at them....

:deadhorse:

Mate I don't want to flog anyone, my thing is to educate through only speaking of things I have actually done
istockphoto-510695348-612x612.jpg

Slugmug with a superimposed suit doing his unique style of diving drills​

For general SCUBA, I like traditional BCDs but for tech dives, B&W are definitely more modular for more gas. What I don't like, about B&W is, they lack pockets & mine remains in doubles all the time because of the hardware. With regular BCD, I can change-out, as many tanks, as I want, repeat & clip-on/carry/SM a pair of 40s - same 160 cft & gas is separated for air-nitrox use.

In the Navy, we used the Ranger in Pensacola, Panama City & Jacksonville, FL, at 21 yr old. Ranger is the one, that the Navy QAs but my current opinion is, there are better BCDs out-there now, even single tank BCDs, that I prefer, over the doubles Ranger. By choice, I wouldn't outright buy the Ranger for doubles or sidemount. Even after years in the Navy, I don't own a Ranger. IMOP, it just isn't.

Anyway, I keep my B&W in doubles & don't even switch it to a single anymore - waste of time, comfort & ease. It stays the way it is.

I have an Oceanic Excursion back inflate and a Hollis BP/W. The BP/W can be set up for the mission at hand. The Oceanic is what it is, It's a nice tech oriented BCD but not configurable. The BP/W takes a little less lead to get down but not much more. The Oceanic is more comfortable on my tired old back. All the padding seems like it distributes weight better. The BP/W is pretty bare bones.

One thing I like about the Oceanic is the giant zipper pockets. I typically need around 35 - 40# in a drysuit. It's hard to find places to hide that much lead on both setups. On the BP/W I use belt pouches and tank pouches. In a pinch I can zip tie weight to the back plate. With the Oceanic I can easily fit 10# in each pocket if needed. More than enough capacity.

They are both back inflate so functionally they feel about the same in the water. I pretty much decided that I would use the BP/W for travel because it packs down smaller for the airlines. I can fit fins, gloves, boots, reg, computer and BP/W in a carry on legal bag.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom