Loss of enthusiasm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Matt. Besides mixing up your dive experiences, buddies, etc., you will get more out of diving and find renewed interest in it by furthering your dive education. You will see diving from other angles besides the basics, and you will enjoy it more.

If you are an Open Water diver, then look ahead towards Advance Open Water, Rescue Diver, etc. This is not an advertisement for any dive training agency, but simply advice from my own personal experience.

Hang in there!

I agree that learning about sealife and small items makes dives much more fun.

Sometimes I'll sit in one spot for 20 minutes just watching and learning how creatures react. Or the thrill of seaching for and finding an octopus.

Diving can be like going to the zoo. You can just run through and see everything in a hour or two and then quickly get bored, or you can take your time at each exhibit, watching and learning about each animal and how they react, and boredom is much harder to reach.

I found my 10th dive ever to be pretty boring, because it was a famous spot, and really there wasn't much interesting there if you just dove around and expected the dive to be great, you had to look and observe, and that's harder to do on your first dives.

As you get more experience, you'll actually start to see more, because your control is so much better, and you know what to look for.

When I was a new diver, I got bored with dive sites more easily than I do now. If the big things in the site seemed repetative (like a bunch of little reefs all very similar, or a quarry that looked much like every other quarry) I got bored with it pretty quickly, even if I still enjoyed blowing bubbles.

My fiancee just took up diving and is at about the 15 dive mark too, and she is bored bored bored of Devil's lake, depsite the fact that she's only been in it 4 times. Admittadly we did dive it 4 times in 2 weekends, but I wasn't bored with it at all. I wasn't excited, but I wasn't bored. She, however, was bored. :) She still said the fourth dive in that lake was one of the most relaxing dives she'd been on. (And it was the dive when she conclusively kicked my butt at air consumption. Damn tiny girlies and their itty bitty lungs!) And honestly, if I'd been diving it during my training or right after, it would bore me silly. Now I like looking for clams buried in the mud, following snail highways, trying to keep track of which fish are following us and which are just doing 'drive by' inspections, looking for trash, trying to figure out which rocks the big fish like to hide under...

So... being a new diver like you are, I suspect seeing the best diving there first kind of did the 'newbie jading' thing to you. I totally wanted to see the next 'great' dive site when I first started. Don't worry. You'll grow more accustomed to diving and start looking at new stuff on the same old sites. And every dive, not just the stunning dives, will always have a little bit of joy for you. Although you lose that initial "HOLY COW" excitement, you'll gain a lasting appreciation for everywhere you dive.

Back
Top Bottom