Lost tank marking......what would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Are you sure about that? Would a 40% profile be ok, if by chance it was 32%, dont forget we have to allow for MOD and "N Loading".

If you wanted to dive a 40% profile, you'd dive the MOD for the Po2 that you wanted for that dive. But unless you can identify that it was truly 40%, I think you're putting yourself in a pickle. And without an oxy analyzer, you can't do that.

Yep, that's why I went for 79% nitrogen. With my Oceanic, I would set it for 21% O2 which would give me 79% N for nitrogen loading and then run the O2 limit off the table for 40%. Don't have tables handy but suspect you should ba able to do a couple dive with a MOD of around 90 ft under those parameters.

awap once bubbled...
Yep, that's why I went for 79% nitrogen. With my Oceanic, I would set it for 21% O2 which would give me 79% N for nitrogen loading and then run the O2 limit off the table for 40%. Don't have tables handy but suspect you should ba able to do a couple dive with a MOD of around 90 ft under those parameters.

And what if some yo-yo put a deco tank of 100 percent on board? Without a positive analysis, you're dead.

The original post said they are YOUR tanks. Why would you not be able to identify YOUR tanks? Why wouldn't your name be on them? As long as I could identify my tanks I would know what was in them even without the tape. They would have been anakyzed when I mixed them and again before I left for the boat. At that point all I need is my name.

If it was a dive where there was O2 in use for deco the tanks in question would be my doubles with all my other gear attatched to them.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
The original post said they are YOUR tanks. Why would you not be able to identify YOUR tanks? Why wouldn't your name be on them? As long as I could identify my tanks I would know what was in them even without the tape. They would have been anakyzed when I mixed them and again before I left for the boat. At that point all I need is my name.

If it was a dive where there was O2 in use for deco the tanks in question would be my doubles with all my other gear attatched to them.

Mike,

The hypothetical was that he couldn't identify them, so work with that. And the fact that your deco tank was marked doesn't mitigate the fact that someone else might not have their's marked.

no dive unless I have an analyzer to verify what's in there.

I "think" those are my tanks and I "think" I put 32% in there isn't good enough. Not only for you, but for everyone else on board.

On an NDL dive with a 120' MOD I wouldn't care much about the possibility of He being in there (which I doubt would be) but I would be VERY concerned about the FO2.

If you "think" they're your tanks you could be bent or dead if you're wrong. And if the op is that careless, who knows what is in the OTHER tanks on the boat? As was noted, what if one of them is full of 100%?

There is no "safe" resolution to this situation. Many people might figure the tank has a 40% FO2 for the MOD but dive a 79% N2 NDL - I'm not that optimistic.

IMHO every diver on the boat needs to be apprised of this situation when it is discovered. I wouldn't go in the water under those circumstances, because if they mixed up my tanks and lost my labels, who knows what ELSE is in OTHER tanks on the boat, and what additional little bit of musical chairs happened?

No thanks. I love to dive, but I really hate that kind of uncertainty. I'd get what I am pretty sure are "my" tanks back and analyze them. If I was right I'm out a day of diving. If I was wrong I may have avoided a trip to the chamber (or worse, to the morgue.)

detroit diver once bubbled...

And what if some yo-yo put a deco tank of 100 percent on board? Without a positive analysis, you're dead.

One of the given parameters was thaty he new his tank were no higher than 40%. In my first response i said; "Seems to me that anybody on the boat who can't positively ID their tanks should join you in whatever discussions you were going to have with the captain."

awap once bubbled...

One of the given parameters was thaty he new his tank were no higher than 40%. In my first response i said; "Seems to me that anybody on the boat who can't positively ID their tanks should join you in whatever discussions you were going to have with the captain."

Yes, but he didn't know what was in any of the other tanks. Might have been air, might have been 100%. That puts him and everyone else at risk.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Mike,

The hypothetical was that he couldn't identify them, so work with that. And the fact that your deco tank was marked doesn't mitigate the fact that someone else might not have their's marked.

Well ok. If I can't at least be sure they are my tanks then without an analyzer you don't have many options. If I can't be certain they're my tanks and I can't verify the contents I'm not diving them unless it's a 20 ft reef. Then your still in trouble if it's a tank full of argon.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

Your pretty darn sure that they are yours, and you THINK its 32%.
If you're not ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE which ones are yours (assuming that they look like and are mixed up with the operator's cylinders), as the boat operator I'd turn the boat around, refund all the other the people's money and sue you for lost revenue and damages and make sure the passengers know who to go after if they want to go for monetary compensation as well.

Say you can positively ID your cylinders and the answer changes completely.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom