Lost tank marking......what would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The operator was the one who removed the stickers.

Its HIS responsibility; they WERE marked and identified when delivered to him.

If you actually tried that under the hypothesized scenario you might end up minus one boat from the countersuit for slander.

Genesis once bubbled...
The operator was the one who removed the stickers.
"Damage or lose" becomes "remove?" You're rewriting the question.

I'll wait to hear if the cylinders can be positively identified or not, then elaborate in either case. I'm not going to spend my time responding to vauge descriptions.

I would NEVER dive a NitrOx tank that was not clearly labled with an inititialed contents sticker that indicated it's O2 % and MOD or that it was air.

NitrOx tanks are required to be labeled as such. An EOI sticker will denote whether it has been cleaned for oxygen service, but ALL NitrOx tanks should have the Green/Yellow bands on them.

Diving is optional... living is not. I would dive any air tank at any time only knowing the pressure in the tank. But, if the tank has a NitrOx band on it, then it must have ONE contents sticker (and only one) with my initials on it or I won't dive it until properly analysed. I go as far even as to analyse NitrOx tanks filled with air, just to be sure that there is no increased O2 in it. To qualify for an "air" label, the NitrOx tank must register 20.7%. Then you can feel free to dive it as "air" with an eye on your MOD. This should be covered in any basic NitrOx class.

NetDoc wrote...

NitrOx tanks are required to be labeled as such. An EOI sticker will denote whether it has been cleaned for oxygen service, but ALL NitrOx tanks should have the Green/Yellow bands on them.
Can't say I've seen many doubles with those...

NetDoc wrote...
NitrOx... NitrOx...NitrOx...NitrOx
Nitr-Ox? You pronounce it that way too, Pete?

:wink:

Thats how I learned how to spell it, and I continue it to this day. Sorry if it offends you.

My doubles are marked thus... I would also expect Argon tanks to be marked as Argon. If there is the possibility of any other gas than air, then the tank should be marked as such. Not using the industry standard NitrOx bands just sounds like an invitation to disaster. Is there a compelling reason to not use these???

NetDoc wrote...
Thats how I learned how to spell it, and I continue it to this day. Sorry if it offends you.
Just messin' with ya a little, Doc. It's kinda like reading an old text from the Fifties with references to S.C.U.B.A. and RADAR, etc., though.

NetDoc wrote...
My doubles are marked thus... I would also expect Argon tanks to be marked as Argon. If there is the possibility of any other gas than air, then the tank should be marked as such. Not using the industry standard NitrOx bands just sounds like an invitation to disaster. Is there a compelling reason to not use these???
You'd have to ask all those people who don't seem to use them, I guess.

If they're clearly marked as your doubles and you know whether it's nitrox or trimix and have done the analyses yourself, why waste the money for the wraps and have to worry about hidden rust?

I pay NAUI $3.00 for the wraps. and I can see/feel any rust through them. They do come off every five years for hydro.

NetDoc once bubbled...
I pay NAUI $3.00 for the wraps. and I can see/feel any rust through them. They do come off every five years for hydro.
Which means your annual VIP isn't being done properly.

Roak

If a tank's contents sticker has been "damaged or lost" it has also been "removed."

Call it what you want; if I deliver a tank to a dive operator with a contents label on it and they "lose", "damage" or "remove" it such that I cannot determine what is in the tank or even if its MY tank (e.g. they "lost" the ENTIRE thing) perhaps you can explain how that is my problem as the diver?

I delivered a marked tank to an operator.

The operator "removed" (either accidentally or intentionally) the contents label, thereby rendering it "not marked."

I didn't remove, damage, or lose it.

How is it my responsibility to cover for someone else's malfeasance?

Genesis once bubbled...
How is it my responsibility to cover for someone else's malfeasance?
Has anything EVER been your fault Genesis?

Ok, if you have a crappy analysis sticker that doesn't stick well and is barely hanging on (most of the manufactured stickers, especially IANTD's, fall into this category), it's your fault. If you have a piece of duct tape that takes a scraper to remove, it's their fault.

Hence why I use duct tape.

Roak

Back
Top Bottom