low IP on Titan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finflipper49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I have an Aqualung Titan Glacia bought from a guy in Canada (e-bay) who said was last serviced in 2011 and used for cold water diving. I tested the regs. on a full and also a low tank(1000lb) and found no leaks, breathed very well . checked with IP guage and preasure was a bit over 120. I left it on a tank for ten min. and did not move. When purged, the preasure came right back. My question is, is it possible it was set low for cold water? And do you think I should still have it serviced ($180.00) before using on shallow dives( 40ft). Thanks for any info.

If the IP "came right back" to 120 PSI, i.e. within a second or so, and stays there, and if the reg. "breathed very well", then it most certainly is in good shape. Probably it's just de-tuned for cold water. Like most of the diaphragm regs., the IP is adjustable; hopefully, the kings of AL will chime in and point you to the proper settings.

Meanwhile, go through couv's commandments to make sure it's really is in good shape.

It's very likely it was turned down based on where it came from. If it does not have a enviromental seal on it, it's a simple matter to just crank it up....and that will likely require a second stage readjustment as well. Unless you do your own maintenance and it's solid, just low, I would leave it alone until the next service. The adjustment range on those is quite wide, some will go as low as 0.

def sounds like its detuned for cold water, most of us up here that dive in the ice will de-tune the first stage

A reg "tuned" for cold water will typically have a lower IP. the standard working IP for most aqualung regulators is 125-145 Psi, but this can varies based upon the 2nd stage it's married to.

However my rule of thumb is to go over any regulator I don't know the service history, this should always be factored into the purchase price.

you never know who was the last to service this regulator, could have been a 17 year old kid or a 55 year old professional scuba tech with 35 years experience, or what happened to the regulator afterwards, I don't like betting on unknowns, I like sure things, I would at the very least get an inspection done.

That is very likely. Here we often tune them down to 120-125 for cold water. All my regs have 130 psi max except one apeks that use for warm ocean diving which is set to 145

Fin,
As noted above, it was likely turned down for cold water use. If you do not intend to dive cold water and want to increase it, the procedure is pretty simple. Use a hex wrench to turn the spring adjuster clockwise, being sure that you either purge the second stage continuously as you turn, or just drain the pressure between IP adjustments. For warm water use I like IP to be at 135-140. It is likely that you will not have to adjust the second stages for this increase, but if you do, the adjustment is also pretty simple. Titan Service Manual can be found at frogkick.dk/manuals.

Last edited:
Maybe your or the service tecks IP gauge is not correct. If it was working before, go with it. It will be just fine. As for the $180 service? Sounds like they won't respect you in the morning. I'd check with ScubaToys or someone about their cost of service.

Back
Top Bottom