Luggage weight regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are flying from Charlotte, NC on US Air to Antiqua, then Caribbean Star Antiqua to Dominica in two weeks. We have been told 50lbs total on two check in bags, and 15lbs on one carry on. My regulator, and camera gear which I usually carry on weigh in the bag at 16 lbs. I have checked the weight of my dive bag empty, it is 12lbs, so I am using a wheeled duffle that weighs 8lbs. My dive gear packed in that comes to 31lbs. Believe me all that includes is BC, fins, mask, snorkle, one full 1ml suit, and boots. I have one safe kit, a small tec light in there too. That is about as scaled down as it gets.

I have packed my clothes in a smaller duffle that weighs 4lbs, with clothing it is 16lbs. Now, I am putting in the carry on a change of clothes, 1pr sandles, and a swim suit too. But, to do this I am going to have to carry an oversized tote as a purse because my carry on weight limit of 15 lbs which I am already over on.

Anyone been on these flights, if so how picky are they? Any suggestions out there for some streamlining on packing?

Cindy

UndrWatrDan:
50lbs domestic, 70lbs international (Continental) pretty sure this is the same for all airlines.
Continental is 50lbs for domestic & international flights now, as is AA. I think most of the airlines have now gone to these weight restrictions to save fuel. Continental did check the weights of each bag when we flew international, so I wouldn't overpack unless you want to be charged a fee.

Martha:
Continental is 50lbs for domestic & international flights now, as is AA. I think most of the airlines have now gone to these weight restrictions to save fuel. Continental did check the weights of each bag when we flew international, so I wouldn't overpack unless you want to be charged a fee.
Ah ha! I have recently learned that Cont will allow up to 70# free for a scuba bag. Check their site closely, print it out, and be prepared to stand your ground. :wink:

Sorry I didnt know this earlier, but Cont always allows me 2 - 70# bags as an Elite member. :blush:

DandyDon:
Ah ha! I have recently learned that Cont will allow up to 70# free for a scuba bag. Check their site closely, print it out, and be prepared to stand your ground. :wink:

Sorry I didnt know this earlier, but Cont always allows me 2 - 70# bags as an Elite member. :blush:
Thanks DandyDon. I checked their website, but it isn't very informative. This is what it says: Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as part of the free baggage allowance. Scuba equipment in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece. It doesn't say anything about a weight limit, so I'll play it safe and keep it under 50lbs. I think I need to become an Elite member.

Martha:
Thanks DandyDon. I checked their website, but it isn't very informative. This is what it says: Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as part of the free baggage allowance. Scuba equipment in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece. It doesn't say anything about a weight limit, so I'll play it safe and keep it under 50lbs. I think I need to become an Elite member.
Sorry, I can't find it now. I should have looked before I posted. May have changed again..??

Here's my original source from Armor bags, whom I cannot call until Tuesday: http://armorbags.com/airlinebaggageinformation.htm

BomberoDiver:
I'm flying to Cancun Saturday and I wondered if anyone knows the weight requirement for luggage. Does this vary from airline. ?

Contential has a 50# weight limit for international and domestic. I have flown to Cozumel about six times in the last year and my wife is leaving in the morning. We have been weighing bags all weekend for friends that are also bringing bags when they visit.

Flying out of Shreveport in April I had one bag that was 52 pounds. They made me move some stuff to my other bag.Flying out of Cozumel they also weighted all my bags as well. Again 50 lbs.

I also believe Dandy Don is right that if you are an elite member you bump to 70 lbs. I just haven't quite got enough miles to make elite status. In Septmember of last year Contential went from 70 down to 50.

In February I flew into Mexico City and understood that they had a 44 lb. limit on Aeromex. They just checked my bags without weighing them.

Jim Baldwin:
Contential has a 50# weight limit for international and domestic. I have flown to Cozumel about six times in the last year and my wife is leaving in the morning. We have been weighing bags all weekend for friends that are also bringing bags when they visit.

Flying out of Shreveport in April I had one bag that was 52 pounds. They made me move some stuff to my other bag.Flying out of Cozumel they also weighted all my bags as well. Again 50 lbs.

I also believe Dandy Don is right that if you are an elite member you bump to 70 lbs. I just haven't quite got enough miles to make elite status. In Septmember of last year Contential went from 70 down to 50.

In February I flew into Mexico City and understood that they had a 44 lb. limit on Aeromex. They just checked my bags without weighing them.

Didn't realize that this was a two year old post.

I just booked a flight to Barbados. Limit is 50 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom