Luminox watch woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to retailer. Buy new watch (you will then have a receipt). Take the damaged watch back to the retailer for a full refund, using the receipt from the new watch. The retailer will be reimbursed by the manufacturer. Do not feel bad about doing this. You should not have had to hassle with this in the first place.

Worse yet.... you may have been a victim of a cheap clone/knockoff on the original?

BlueDolphin:
Go to retailer. Buy new watch (you will then have a receipt). Take the damaged watch back to the retailer for a full refund, using the receipt from the new watch. The retailer will be reimbursed by the manufacturer. Do not feel bad about doing this. You should not have had to hassle with this in the first place.

Worse yet.... you may have been a victim of a cheap clone/knockoff on the original?
No offense but I'm shocked.
Your post shows everything that is wrong with our society. Nobody is willing to take a personal responsibility for their deeds and resort to lying and cheating in order to compensate.
Somebody screwed up and threw away their receipt. While I understand that it hurts to have a watch lost within the warranty period, I don't see why the shop or manufacturer should take responsibility if someone can not prove that the watch is still within the warranty period?
The decent way to do is like Larry suggested: Go to the shop, tell the truth and hope that they will want to help you, which is exactly what happened in this case. No need to instruct people to lie and cheat.
Would you, as a business owner, enjoy something like that happening to you?
If you were serious about all of it, I'm wondering what kind of an example are you setting for your children, should you have any.

Aquaoren,

It happens to ME all the time. Perfectly acceptable, as the item ends up in the same place. Back with the manufacturer where it belongs.

I have (4). And don't bring my kids into it. I might let em loose on you. :)
If you want to know what is wrong with our society, start a new post. I'll splain it to you. I will start with the topic of manufacturers putting garbage on the market for "society" to purchase, and then left having to deal with it. And the huge waste of resources, time and energy spent on their "deeds". It's called being RIPPED OFF. And you are not pointing a finger at the real thieves here. I know plenty of manufacturers, and trust me..... it is no accident.

And the watch was not "lost". The damn thing failed. The customer is entitled to more than a watch..... they ought to be compensated for their time in my book. That is if their time is worth anything.

And the only person cheated.... was the buyer. He did not get what he paid for. Surely you can see that.

"Responsible for their deeds"? The damn watch flooded on its very first dive! Who should be responsible for the deed? The customer? The coffee is on.... smell it.

BlueDolphin:
Aquaoren,

It happens to ME all the time. Perfectly acceptable, as the item ends up in the same place. Back with the manufacturer where it belongs.

I have (4). And don't bring my kids into it. I might let em loose on you. :)
If you want to know what is wrong with our society, start a new post. I'll splain it to you. I will start with the topic of manufacturers putting garbage on the market for "society" to purchase, and then left having to deal with it. And the huge waste of resources, time and energy spent on their "deeds". It's called being RIPPED OFF. And you are not pointing a finger at the real thieves here. I know plenty of manufacturers, and trust me..... it is no accident.

And the watch was not "lost". The damn thing failed. The customer is entitled to more than a watch..... they ought to be compensated for their time in my book. That is if their time is worth anything.

And the only person cheated.... was the buyer. He did not get what he paid for. Surely you can see that.

"Responsible for their deeds"? The damn watch flooded on its very first dive! Who should be responsible for the deed? The customer? The coffee is on.... smell it.
This is not about manufactureres unloading bad goods on unsuspicious costumers. Nowdays nobody is forcing no one to buy or sell anything. It's a free choice. You don't have to sell bad goods, you could choose to sell a different product line if you're not happy with your current one :wink:
This is about right and wrong.
My problem is that what you have suggested is simply wrong. I'm not a lawyer but it actually sounds a little like fraud. Maybe someone with more law experience could chime in. It may be a small lie but it's still a lie and where do you actually draw the line?
Take a sip from your coffee, and let me tell you that IMO lying and cheating isn't the right way to go through life even if you're trying to get what you think that you may deserve.
Look at what happened here: Honesty has preveiled and this is good so. Darin got his watch replaced by an honest businessman, who honoured the warranty eventhough he was not obligated to do so without the receipt. Kudos to everyone who was able to stay honest.

St. Moritz has great watches... I have a Momentum M1, great...

Robert

Nemrod:
My experience with those is that they are very leak prone. I have had several friends over the years buy those and they all leaked. Some of the Casio and Timex cheapies work very well actually. For about 80-120 dollars St-Moritz has a dive watch but not sure how good it is. You could get a Heuer Formula 1 or their new Aquaracer or Prodiver. Price is going to run from about 600 dollars to 2,500 dollars. You can expect these to last most of a lifetime. There are some other watches out there like the Rolex but they get even more pricy and for no real gain in quality and in some places the Rolex can make you a target. For a dive watch your actually going to use I suggest keeping the price below 1,000 dollars. That way, if you loose it you will be unhappy and but not decimated. I am kinda a watch geek--sorry. Citizen has some decent dive watches also for not that much money, not cheap but not super expensive. I don't think your gonna be happy with the Luminox. N

aquaoren.... you find some stores even advertise that you can return or exchange an item, even if you did not purchase it at their store. Fraud.... shccckkkt! Your kidding right? Contact your lawyer, and ask him if anything I have said is fraud. The only fraud is a manufacturer marketing goods that do not do what they are supposed to do.

I have absolutely no problem taking in a product that I did not sell, if I carry that manufacturer. If I get lots of returns on a particular item, I make a loud noise to the manufacturer, and I don't sell their junk. A manufacturer needs to be responsible for its products. Receipt or not. They can look at the watch and see it had not been abused. Any legitimate owner of the manufacturing company would in short order gladly make a replacement, as trouble free for the customer as possible.

Unloading bad goods is exactly what it is. When you pay for something you deserve to have it work the way it is supposed to work. The maker HAS to be held responsible for their QC.

Trust me... when Darin purchased his watch, he had no idea it was going to flood on its first dive. It was the fault of the manufacturer. If it happens more than a few times, it is not an accident in my very firm opinion.

The above is exactly what I would expect a customer to do, if they ran into any trouble getting a replacement on a purchase like that. There is a much larger population of consumers out there, that end up just taking it in the shorts. They either value their time too greatly, or give up because someone tells them they have to have a receipt. And that is wrong. Very wrong.

Where would Darin be if the store he finally had success with did not bend the rule in favor of the customer. You may think that he should have just kissed off his $200. And accuse me or the store that bent the rules as the thief. That was not "honesty prevailing", that was the final store that honored the warranty, bending the rules (or "cheat" as you call it) to get the manufacturer to take care of a legitimate need/obligation for a customer. As the warranty required a "receipt".

Alright...easy everyone...anywho...as I stated before; if the watch isn't under warranty this is the only place that won't rip you off...they also have a small pressure chamber (20 Atmospheres!!!) in which to test the watch for leaks!!!

This place does all the warranty or non-warranty work for Luminox!

http://www.parsecent.com/

Parsec Enterprises, Inc.
7501 N. Harker Dr.
Peoria, IL 61615
1-309-689-6531
Fax: 1-309-689-6543
mailto:repairs@parsecent.com

BlueDolphin......
You should read a little more carefully.
Darin got his watch replaced where he bought it originally. The dealer was fair. No need to lie.
IMO, Buying something and later bringing something else for exchange, while claiming it is the same item, is fraud.
I live my life according to the rule that the end result doesn't justify all methods. Anyway, since we live in the free world: whatever makes you happy :wink:

To blue Dolphin, BRAVO! dbg40

Just some food for thought. Usually when you buy something - like a watch - the serial number is recorded on the receipt. To avoid a bit of embarassment if you return the damaged watch, make sure the original serial number is not on the receipt...

Back
Top Bottom