Luxury Grand Cayman vacation-PLEASE HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagrl

Reaction score
I need some advice from all of you well traveled divers...I'm assisting a client in planning a luxurious Caribbean vacation for his family (couple with toddler daughter)...they DON'T dive, but are interested in visiting Grand Cayman. I know that the Ritz-Carlton is not open yet, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a very exclusive/high-end resort on the island where hubby and wife can be pampered with a spa, have a little tee time, be catered to by a concierge, etc etc. I've checked into the Westin Casaurina and the Hyatt Regency...both of these look pretty good, but I'd like to know your opinion.

Thanks!

Edit: OR if you can think of a luxurious/five-star Caribbean destination with a direct flight of two hours or less from Tampa, they'd probably be open to hearing about it! I'm not a travel agent, so I figured I'd put the question out to those of you who would probably know best! Feel free to either PM me or email direct at service@lhsinc.com.

Thanks again!

This has got to be a new one for this board!

I'd vote for the Hyatt. They have a great kids program so the parents can have built in child care, as needed. The Hyatt also sports three of your key points:

1) Britannia Golf Club at the Hyatt is the only Jack Nicklaus designed course in the Caribbean. It's set up slightly differently on alternating days of the week - executive course (lots of par 3's with a few par 4's for quick play) certain days, and other days it is set up for full length 9 hole course played twice for a round of 18 at par 70. Guests at the Hyatt have preferred privledges booking tee times. Your client may have difficulties getting in a round at a favorable tee time if he isn't a guset at the Hyatt.

2) The spa. Oh yeah! Full spa services, massages, mud wraps, facials... the works. Definitely one of the best spots on the island for pampering.

3) Concierge services. Anything from arranging a rental car or island tour to finding a babysitter for the off hours that Camp Hyatt isn't available the Hyatt concierge can do it with a little notice.

Other tidbits. Dinner and Sunset Sail trips aboard Red Sail Sports catamarans depart right from the Hyatt canal. Nice boats and a nice way to spend an evening and catch a beautiful sunset from the water. The Rum Point ferry also departs direct from the Hyatt canal for an easy ride across North Sound. Rum Point is a great spot to relax away an afternoon in an hammock with waitstaff serving cool tropical creations.

The Hyatt also has an excellent on-site sushi bar in Bamboo. Another of their restaurants, Hemmingways, is a very popular spot.

For more golf, just up West Bay Road is Safehaven where The Links is located. The Links is the other golf course which would definitely be worth taking in for another round. A third golf spot is Sunrise Family Golf Center. It is a bit further ride out toward Red Bay for a small par 3 course.

Turks and Caicos - almost as close as Cayman, variety of high end resorts on Provo and nearby islands.

BVI - number of well known upscale resorts (eg. Peter Island)

USVI?

Not sure about direct flights to any of these from Tampa, though I just did a quick search and it didn't show any to Gr. Cayman either.

Damselfish once bubbled...
Not sure about direct flights to any of these from Tampa, though I just did a quick search and it didn't show any to Gr. Cayman either.

For G.C. did you try Cayman Airways?:)

Caymaniac

I just typed it in travelocity, which probably doesn't cover Cayman Airways. I'm not doing all the work. :)

Not sure about other destinations you could reach non-stop from Tampa. A connection through Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, or (shudder) Miami can get you most anywhere in the northern Caribbean quickly enough.

If you are being nice to a client I'd really discourage the idea of clearing US Immigration in Miami.

HI...and THANKS, all for your help. And Drew, thanks again for your PM.

I've searched for direct flights from Tampa to a variety of destinations...T & C, BVI, USVI, Nevis, etc...but all either connect in Miami or San Juan. This particular client is already going to be in Tampa and just basically wanted a simple extension of the trip that they're already on, especially since they're traveling with a toddler. Therefore I'm attempting to eliminate having them spend two extra full days traveling....one of the reasons I (we) chose GC...and Expedia.com does have a direct flight Tampa-GC on Cayman Airways...a quick 1:40 hr flight.

It's pouring rain here in Milwaukee.....where the heck is the holiday snow?? If this keeps up I may have to stow away with my client......arghh....

Back
Top Bottom