Lynx - Continued battery and transmitter issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be interested to see if anyone has any suggestions or similar experiences and responds to your post. At this point I'm thinking of selling the Lynxes and going to Shearwater or Diverite.

FWIW, I have had no issues with battery or transmitter, although I have not yet tried the rechargeable. If you decide to sell, I might be interested in buying one of yours for my dive buddy so feel free to PM me if you wish.

Used properly, like Eric said, I would be shocked if people are still having issues. Make sure you are using the proper batteries for your settings. These are great computers, just need to make sure you are using it properly :wink:

Eric -
Your reply indicates that you did not pay attention to my original posting, and just like the eMails received from Rory Johnston, Liquivision seems to blame the user for problems instead of addressing the root cause for these problems.

I HAVE followed all instructions and assigned the correct battery types to BOTH transmitter and computer.
I DO NOT have anything other than basic AI recreational dive operation (no buddies, no ultra bright display, etc) and, as described, I DID IMMEDIATELY disconnect the 1st stage at the end of each dive.
AGAIN - even with this procedure, the white rechargeable batteries do NOT hold a charge for more than 1-2 hours of use!
I did NOT experience these issues with the original Blue disposables, obtaining ~20-30 hours of diving with the Blues; done so with no unrealistic expectations
In addition, the only other user of a Liquivision Lynx on a recent dive trip experienced EXACTLY the same issues with the White batteries! (So, DRIS, thanks for weighing in with that moronic comment - and keep "being shocked" that at least 2 highly educated and experienced divers from one dive trip are having problems with these batteries.)

Also Eric, your reply completely ignored the issues with linking transmitter to computer that (once again) I am not the only user of the Lynx to describe.

Ok, in my case it looks like Eric is probably correct. The other day I did the two updates 1.16 and 1.17 and I had to completely set up my computer from scratch and after seeing Eric's post I decided not to change the batteries from last weekends dives where the transmitter was showing red, I just returned from my dives and the transmitter was green when I started and is still green. I will see just how long they last and let yall know, 5 so far. I'm betting I had it set for the blue battery instead of the rechargeable white ones I use.

Paul

As a follow up I have five more dives and three weeks on the same batteries from the above this post on 3-22-14 ( all of these in 52 to 55 degree water which might also shorten the life) and they still show good. I will post again when I change them.

Paul

Eric - (So, DRIS, thanks for weighing in with that moronic comment - and keep "being shocked" that at least 2 highly educated and experienced divers from one dive trip are having problems with these batteries.)

Anytime...it seems to have solved the problem for a lot of others. Could just be a bad battery, obviously with troubleshooting you start with the most obvious and drill down if that isn't the culprit to find the root problem. It's possible that you have additional issues..but slinging mud when people are trying to help is a great way to get put on an island. I'm the one that got Liquivision to come here as they didn't know this thread existed, and people have had their issue fixed because of it. So, I don't see it as moronic at all. Seeing as I'm the one that brought someone from Liquivision here to try and help solve your issue, and you are bashing me and them, I would say it might be you with the moronic comments.

Goodluck with your computer issue, I truly do hope you get it fixed as you shouldn't be having these issues and it is a great computer.

Perhaps the next leap forward can be letting us recharge without having to remove a very delicate tray :).

I find a get a bout 4-6 hours a real world use from the white rechargeable (without needing to baby it) so this pretty much mean recharge every 4 dives. I don't think the hardware has been well deigned fro this kind of frequent man handling. I leav in constant fear of breaking one of the dam wired every time I pull the tray out. Not sure why contact plates could not have been used since it's a sealed tube.

For all the flaws of my atomic, weight and size included, I got a hell of a lot of diving out of it before needing to charge and charging was painless, usb or AC. I understand it's not a apples to apples but from a usability perspective it sure was nice.

It sounds to me like most of the people reporting this 'issue' are seeing what they think are low battery warnings which are not. If you use the white battery you must make sure to select the correct battery type in the Lynx wrist unit, both for the wrist unit battery type, and for the transmitter battery type. If you do not, the battery indicator will go yellow/red almost immediately because the white battery operates at a lower voltage than the blue (ER17335M) or green (ICR16340) batteries; this doesn't mean the battery is running out. If the battery indicator turns red it doesn't mean anything if the wrong battery type is selected for either the wrist unit or transmitter; this may lead you to feel you need to recharge the battery every day which is false.

The wrist unit battery life depends greatly on the mode you choose. If you run the unit in 'buddy' or group mode, the battery life is much less than if you run the device in 'solo' mode monitoring only your own transmitter. If you are diving with just your own transmitter make sure you select 'solo' mode.

The other challenge is you need to understand what the actual battery life expectation is. If you expect the battery to last 200 hours per charge you will be disappointed. The white battery (LFP123A) in the transmitter gives you around 10 hours of diving per charge (assuming you actually depressurize the 1st stage immediately after getting out of the water. A blue battery gives you around 25-30 hours of dive time. In the wrist unit, it depends on whether you are in 'solo' mode, buddy/group mode, or running with AI-off. It also depends on the brightness. At medium brightness in buddy mode, the white battery gives around 7 hours of 'on' time per charge. With a blue battery in solo mode you get about 40-50 hours of dive time depending on how long the battery sits inside the unit. If you run the wrist unit in buddy mode and you don't like recharging batteries then I recommend using the blue battery.

Keep in mind that all of these battery lifetimes are truly remarkable given what the product is capable of doing. The only other ultrasonic computer on the market (UTC UDI computer) is the size of a VHS videotape (enormous) because of a gargantuan battery inside it, and even then it only gets less than 10 hours per charge. It took us years to figure out how to transmit & decode ultrasonic signals with such small batteries as exist in the Lynx and the transmitter; other companies had tried and failed to do this. With the Lynx you have the only small, compact digital ultrasonic transceiver system capable of long range air monitoring, location, and capable of tank pressure monitoring that is not affected by scooters, strobes, or other sources of electromagnetic interference.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I'm the one that got Liquivision to come here as they didn't know this thread existed, ... Seeing as I'm the one that brought someone from Liquivision here to try and help solve your issue

Isn't this the Liquivision forum? Either you didn't do much at all, or, Liquivison's customer service standard extends to monitoring its own SB forum. I wouldn't be surprised by either one.

I havent used my Lynx enough to comment on the battery issue, sounds like you just need new ones there, but I have a fix aka workaround for you for reading your air pressure on land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't this the Liquivision forum? Either you didn't do much at all, or, Liquivison's customer service standard extends to monitoring its own SB forum. I wouldn't be surprised by either one.

I emailed them to let them know about this thread after a customer looking at the computer told me their concerns with battery life after reading this thread. Wondering the answer myself as I hadn't heard of any issues or had any with my unit, I emailed them, and Margaret told me that she would get Eric on here ASAP to help shed some light on the issue. No, they didn't see this thread at all and that is why they never responded. More than happy to surprise you and share the emails if you would like....I have better things to do than make up a silly story like that Dr :wink:

Not sure on official forum policy but many manufactures make best effort engagement on external (not company owned) sites. I'm sure LV folks are kept very busy vials all the direct customer contact via their own site. Again, no idea their official stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom