Mach V Extreme Wing Power Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryTX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
On my last dive I had a persistent leak at the connection of the power inflator on the 30# Mach V Extreme Wing. The LP hose is fairly new and shows no sign of a problem. On the dive I disconnected and reconnected but was not able to slow the leak. I finally went to 'manual inflation mode' and disconnected the LP hose for the remainder of the dive.

After speaking to the LDS, their recommendation is to replace the power inflator rather than clean / rebuild due to the low cost of replacement. I can go along with that. My question is if there is anything special about the power inflator that Oxycheq uses? It looks like I can buy from several different suppliers and the inflators all look the same externally.

Before I just buy the cheapest new one, I'd like to find out if I'm getting ready to make a mistake. I would appreciate comments from those who know more than I on the subject, and thanks in advance.

Barry

Depending on the dive concerned..it would be worth checking to see if the problem resolved after a good wash and soak in fresh water. Sometimes a grain of sand or dried salt crystals can stick inside the connector, leading to a string of little bubbles leaking out.

If that is possible (especially if you were on/around a sandy or silty bottom) give the LPI and hose a good long soak and a strong agitation in clean water. Check to see if that resolves the problem before the expense of replacing it.

:)

Thanks, that is a good tip and I'll give that a shot. But I am still curious about the LPI hardware - are they basically generic across brands or are they actually significantly different in quality when they visually look the same?

Howdy neighbor,

Start off by finding a new dive shop..... This should be a simple fix. If DevonDiver's suggestion of a hot water soak brings no joy, the first thing you want to do is hook it up to another power inflator and see if the problem follows. If it does, then the problem is most likely the o-ring in the inflator hose Quick Disconnect (QD). Replacing the inflator will not solve the problem. The most likely culprit is the o-ring in quick disconnect hose. Shine your bright underwater flashlight into the hose QD. There will be an o-ring hugging the fitting wall. Pluck that puppy out with a brass pick and install a new one. Probably size -011.

If a different hose on the same inflator leaks, then the problem is most likely the inflator's nipple; also easy to replace. Most of the info on the following web pages tell you how to rebuild the entire inflator, but you just need to replace the nipple if that is the problem. But as said before, it is most likely the hose QD o-ring. Diving Thoughts Blog Archive OMS Power Inflator

Here is a link to a PDF manual for a Halcyon inflator-very similar to most. www.halcyon.net/files/manuals/halcyon_inflator04_v1.pdf

I'll try to update later with a link on where to buy the power inflator nipple if you determine that is the cause.

Couv

Edit: Here is one- http://northeastscubasupply.com/sto...Inflators-Parts/Inflator-Nipple/prod_972.html

If you want to rebuild or replace the power inflator see http://northeastscubasupply.com/sto...s/bc-parts/power-inflators-parts/cat_200.html

Last edited:
What Couv said. Those little o-rings go bad fairly quick, especially if you're in a pool with it.
They are REALLY easy to replace yourself, and the rebuild kits from Northeast are cheaper than dirt. I had one of those go bad on me the night before a dive and hit up Lowes and got a box of O-rings for a buck or something. The guts of these inflators are all essentially the same, same parts, and most of them are identical except for some slight variations. Some buttons are SS, some are plastic, some have the button on the back like T others look like a K. They all work the same though

Similar, though different problem. On my 5th dive with my oxy wing, my power inflator valve got stuck open. I could see bubbles after disconnecting the hose, so it's not the hose. I gave it a good rinse but didn't agitate much. I'll try that later tonight. Any other thoughts? I was pretty disappointed to see this happen.

Thanks couv, that is really helpful and informative. I didn't have to use it though, thanks to Peter at Add Helium, who sent out a replacement ASAP. Thanks Peter!

Back
Top Bottom