Macro in the Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'll be in Sri Lanka in Dec./Jan. and am thinking of hoping over to the Maldives (did this in 1978) for a bit. Is there a land based operation/site that has a fair amount of macro? Would someone be able to recommend a place to stay in Male for a night or 2? Is it easy to book something in Male ie. are there any agencies that handle many of the resorts/LOBs? Looking for a comfortable spot, not 5 star, a pool and cold beer is all I really need. Thanks!

I have stayed at the Mookai while on work in Male. Decent place and close to the water taxi dock. There are several others located nearby. Cant remember the name of the other place I stayed at. I have dived with a place called Ocean Dive Desk just near there run by Japanese lady by the name of Kyoko. However their website is not working and I heard unconfirmed reports they had closed down. Another place is Sea Exploreres in Male (Sea Explorers Dive School, Malé, Maldives.). Both places used to organize dive trips in North Male Atoll and some liveaboard trips.

Best to ask the operator about local sites. I prefer the Maldives for drift diving and fish action which is world class. Macro is good but nothing special.

Any plans for diving in Sri Lanka?

Cheers,

Nishan

I dove with Sea Explorer in january, excellent service, and the diving was pretty good outside malé, excellent I must say. U can find hotels for ~ 60$ / night in malé. Actually in front off the dive center there is the "Malé Inn" guest house that cost 50$ / night. A bit noisy with it's owners but u survive :D . Otherwise if u want to drink alcohol u must cross to the other island where the airport is and u must go to the big international hotel, can't remember it's name, u got a very nice pool, wi-fi etc... but prices won't be the same of course if u know what I mean.

I will go to Sri-lanka in the end of december, certainly to hikkiduwa to do a diving course, maybe we meet each other.

Yes forgot to mention there is no alcohol in Male. But you can hop over to the hotel in Hulumale for a beer and pool in the evening.

The diving in North Male Atoll is excellent and many protected dive sites are located within 1 hour boat ride from Male. You can easily dive famous sites like Lions Head, Banana Reef, Lankanfinholu (Manta Point), the Victory Wreck and even some south Male sites like Embudhoo Express.

Yes I may be around Hikkaduwa sometime end of December. Dont dive there much anymore as I find the diving close to home in Colombo as good or even better. But Hiks is a nice place to hang out. Good surf, beach bars, cafes etc. Try the Italian place, Spaghetti & Co. They have great home made pasta and wood fired pizza.

Btw, if you have not dived in Hikkaduwa before dive Kiralagala. Its the best site there. The wreck of the Conch is also interesting even though its broken up. Diyamba Gala has some nice ledges and rock formations. Black coral point has interesting macro and if you are lucky long nosed hawkfish!

Happy diving!

Btw, if you have not dived in Hikkaduwa before dive Kiralagala. Its the best site there. The wreck of the Conch is also interesting even though its broken up. Diyamba Gala has some nice ledges and rock formations. Black coral point has interesting macro and if you are lucky long nosed hawkfish!

Happy diving!
Ooohhh yes, Embudhoo Express, awsome site for current drifting, highly recommended, so many others to mention.

Embudhoo when the current is running with lots of big fish is amazing. I also love the reef fish and large cave at Banana reef. The Maldives is great. Hard to have a bad dive there!

funscuba, replied you PM. Hope it helps.

Nishan, I'll be staying in Negombo for a week or so, any dive operator you'd recommend? Thanks!

Felician Fernando / Sri Lanka Diving Tours. He is on Scubaboard as sport.diving. Check posts on Hermes / Sri Lanka / Negombo.

sport.diving@yahoo.com
felicianfernando@hotmail.com

Tell him Nishan from the Sri Lanka Sub Aqua Club told you to contact him.

Negombo diving is good. Lots of macro and on some reefs great fish life. Felician runs a small dive station but knows the local reefs very well and is a nice friendly guy. I think currently dives are 50 Euro for a 2 tank trip including all equipment.

Cheers,

Nishan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom