Magnolia Rocks Dive Report 6/12/05 / lost bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction:
As for the impact on the locals, I tend to agree that we need to keep up relations. This was my first dive at Magnolia and I actually felt bad for the guy who owns a 2 miliion dollar house on the water and has 15 divers changing into their wetsuits almost in his back yard! But on the other hand, the guy doesn't own the water or the access to it. The owner actually approached me and politely told me that the land in front of his house was private property. I'm not sure if that's the case, but he was nice about it and I politely said that I would stick to the public area. Anyone else have similar run-ins there?

per Mass(and Maine) state common law, when you own beach property you own the land all the way to the low water mark....only 2 states in the US that still do this. Thank you king james.

ClassAction:
Does anyone know if they're subject to the same max limit? I'm not sure that following the letter of the law necessarily means you're being a steward of the environment, when it just means that the lobsterman gets to catch (and keep) the very same lobster
ClassAction:
Yes, the commercial guys are subject to the same min / max / egger / v-notch rules as the rest of us.

There is no maxium carapice limit from Provincetown round the arm of cape cod down to RI. No "grandfather/grandmother" rule on the Cape's south coast. At least that was last year. That was how "bubba" was caught this winter and promptly died in Philadelphia, poor fella

ClassAction:
I'm brand new to this area. I just moved to North Andover from NJ. I'm always up for shore or boat diving, so please keep me in mind if you're looking for a buddy. I dive wet with single 120's and a long hose; I'm up to about 100 dives, mostly in the N.E.

Anyway...a friend and I went off the Magnolia rocks last Sunday. I've done about 20 dives in this area and Sunday's was probably the best. The visibility was easily 25-30 feet -- crystal clear for the North East! There were plenty of lobsters, but the vast majority were too small to keep. My friend and I did catch 'lobzilla', though. It was about 15 pounds! But she was an egger so we let her go... Next time, I'm bringing my camera for proof...

Unfortunately, we had some miscommunication that resulted in a lost catch bag. He went to free up the anchor for our flag and allegedly motioned to me to hold onto his bag. But I never saw this and never touched the bag. We didn't figure this out until we were on land with gear off, so we didn't go looking for it. If anyone finds/found a yellow catch bag (the older ones without the spring), can you send me a pm?

My friend and I are probably going again (maybe to another site?) on Sat the 24th or Sun the 25th, in case anyone is interested...
I haven't found any bags lately, but I did find a tickle stick AND a gauge at Loblolly Cove last weekend. Considering I only found one legal bug amongst many too big, too small, v-notched and eggers, whoever owned this gear must have been as frustrated as I was and tossed them in disgust!

ClassAction:
And my buddy, while not the most scrupulous, it very good at catching lobsters. .

Oh, please post his name and description. I know there are some of us who would really like to meet him with an illegal lobster :drejnd: I'm very good at photographing illegal acts and calling the police.

crlavoie:
More importantly, I'm told they are not very good eating when they get up over 5 lbs or so. I wouldn't know first hand as I'm the worlds worst lobster diver. I recently had 1 1/4 pounder take me for the death roll. It's those little ones you have to watch out for.

You are 10 post in on this board and you are already after my title. I am by far the "worlds worst lobster diver" I can't even get the people at the fish counter at Shaw's to wait on me. Come on a number of you guys have been out with me back me up here.

decapoddiver:
Oh, please post his name and description. I know there are some of us who would really like to meet him with an illegal lobster :drejnd: I'm very good at photographing illegal acts and calling the police.

While I agree with the theory, I think the EP could handle this. If he is as good as ClassA says he doesn't have to mess it up for the rest of us by being an idiot and taking illegal lobsters. This type of behavior is going to cost us all in the future. I don't see a Lobater Divers lobby out there looking out for us.

decapoddiver:

I think we're all getting a little carried away here. (I guess sarcasm doesn't come through that clearly on a message board.) I was really just kidding about my buddy. He doesn't keep illegal lobsters. As I said in my first post, we through her back. I was really just wondering whether there was any wiggle room as to max size (even though we had no intention of keeping her). I guess the max limit didn't make as much sense to me as the minimum limit and I'm really pretty new to this area (and to lobstering!). So it's safe to stand down, Decapoddiver. You're free to go back to searching through your neighbors trash for recyclable items...

ClassAction:
I think we're all getting a little carried away here. (I guess sarcasm doesn't come through that clearly on a message board.) I was really just kidding about my buddy. He doesn't keep illegal lobsters. As I said in my first post, we through her back. I was really just wondering whether there was any wiggle room as to max size (even though we had no intention of keeping her). I guess the max limit didn't make as much sense to me as the minimum limit and I'm really pretty new to this area (and to lobstering!). So it's safe to stand down, Decapoddiver. You're free to go back to searching through your neighbors trash for recyclable items...

Yeah, this may be partly my fault for being the first to get up on the soap box. I think you're point is pretty clear.

We need that dead horse icon that I've seen on other boards. This one has been soundly beaten.

ScubaNorth:
While I agree with the theory, I think the EP could handle this.

I agree. Guess I should have said "law enforcement".

Classaction, what do you mean by "searching through your neighbor's trash"? How exactly does my desire to turn in scummy divers who make us all look bad somehow have a negative connotation to you? Do you think it's acceptable to break the law, negatively affect future lobster populations (if you don't know why an oversized lobster is so valuable ask someone who does) and futher perpetuate the non-diver mentality that we divers are immoral? I sure hope not.

Well, I'm off to sit on my natural hemp blanket and eat my vegan tofu and sprout sandwich. Peace my brother. ....sigh....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom