Magnolia Rocks Dive Report 6/12/05 / lost bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver:
I agree. Guess I should have said "law enforcement".

Classaction, what do you mean by "searching through your neighbor's trash"? How exactly does my desire to turn in scummy divers who make us all look bad somehow have a negative connotation to you? Do you think it's acceptable to break the law, negatively affect future lobster populations (if you don't know why an oversized lobster is so valuable ask someone who does) and futher perpetuate the non-diver mentality that we divers are immoral? I sure hope not.

Well, I'm off to sit on my natural hemp blanket and eat my vegan tofu and sprout sandwich. Peace my brother. ....sigh....

Again, just a little humor. If you re-read my posts, I never said that my buddy took illegal lobsters. I made a brief tongue-in-cheek reference to his scruples, but I was pretty clear that we didn't take the lobzilla-ess. I'm obviously not into breaking the law, but I'm also not into threatening someone (whom I don't even know) with a stakeout! Just thought you were a little quick to jump on me... As a matter of fact, someone was kind enough to PM me with an explanation of the max limit (and oddly enough, he forgot to threaten me).

And for the record, there are plenty of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing...

decapoddiver:
I agree. Guess I should have said "law enforcement".

Classaction, what do you mean by "searching through your neighbor's trash"? How exactly does my desire to turn in scummy divers who make us all look bad somehow have a negative connotation to you? Do you think it's acceptable to break the law, negatively affect future lobster populations (if you don't know why an oversized lobster is so valuable ask someone who does) and futher perpetuate the non-diver mentality that we divers are immoral? I sure hope not.
Well, I'm off to sit on my natural hemp blanket and eat my vegan tofu and sprout sandwich. Peace my brother. ....sigh....

Oops first off Deca I actually found your blanket at loblolly and smoked it. Second as any good tree hugger would know Tofu by it's nature is Vegan (tree hugger imposter, most real treehuggers wouldn't burn $110 in gas to grab $17 worth of seafood). Lastly, and this one is for ClassAct... you have the right to remain silent anything you say can be blown out of scope on a board and used against you. Since the flaming started please take it with a grain of salt. Everyone here has had to watch their back and behinds because there are indeed scummy divers out there who may wreck a good thing. The regs aren't a matter of degrees so no there is not any wiggle room anyplace and the guys with traps are subject to the same limits as us. The commercial guys are subject to everything but the catch limit as it should be.

Joking about taking illegal catch of any kind on this board is almost like joking about having a bomb at the American Airlines Terminal. Yeah you may be kidding but some people are going to have a bit of an issue as they don't know that.

While I am not a minister I do hearby declare the horse Dead.

"Can't we all just get along"
-Rodney King

ClassAction:
And for the record, there are plenty of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing...

OK I'll give you that...... Funny. I hope Deca.... is laughing. I think his post was not really that type of threat just a I'll turn you in kind of threat and truthfully most of us would (ok well the guys I dive with) would turn someone grabbing illegals in, if we police our own the EP will be easier to deal with. Be nice to D he knows all the scallop hang outs and has a boat.

lord1234:
per Mass(and Maine) state common law, when you own beach property you own the land all the way to the low water mark....only 2 states in the US that still do this..
I own 100' of beachfont on New Bedford/Buzzards Bay and this was news to me! We always just ignore strolling "trespassers" unless they come up over the seawall and wander across our lawn.

The New Bedford Standard Times had an interesting article on this last week.

"With the Colonial Ordinances of 1641-47, Massachusetts legislators transferred ownership of the intertidal zone -- the wet sand area between the high- and low-tide water marks -- to private landowners."

"Careful not to hurt those who relied on the beach to make a living, colonial legislators reserved the right for the public to access the intertidal zone for three purposes: fishing, fowling (hunting birds) and navigation.
Massachusetts courts have broadened the scope of these three activities to include "natural derivatives" of these uses, such as shellfishing, unloading of boats and bird-watching.
The courts have also made it clear to the public that strolling, sunbathing and other types of recreation are not allowed on private beaches. While swimming is permitted in the intertidal zone, swimmers are not allowed to touch the bottom with their feet.
Swimmers, boaters and fishermen are also required to enter and exit the intertidal zone through public access paths and roads.
Massachusetts is one of a handful of states, including Maine and Delaware, where private landowners control the intertidal zone.
In California and other states, private property rights end at the high tide line,.."

Quick addition to last post, courts in MA have ruled that the ocean front landowner only owns the property to the low water marks if property description in the deed says "to the water" or "to the ocean" or "bordered by the ocean, harbor or water". Or some other magic language. If your deed specifically states something else, then you don't own to the low water mark. But, in general, the low water mark rule is applicable.

LobstaMan

Back
Top Bottom