Main causes of scuba diving accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree that scuba is no more dangerous than a lot of other sports. In fact I find it safer because of the training you get before you dive and how eager experienced divers are to teach newer divers. I have tried many activities, and I have never felt more trust and respect for others doing the activity than I have while diving. Sure, we have an accidents forum. But does a forum prove it to be more dangerous? I could create a car accident forum, but I guarantee if we kept track of worldwide car accidents that caused injury or death it would take an army of people to keep up with it. Not just a death a week, hundreds of deaths a day. I am more afraid to drive to work than I am to dive.

I also find saying, "well just don't do the dangerous stuff" an unacceptable solution. If you live in fear, you will miss out on a lot of stuff in the world, which to me is an unacceptable cost. If I never did anything that had the potential to be dangerous, I'd never leave the house. NOT doing anything potentially dangerous can kill you. (Depression, separation, etc.) So instead of living in fear, my solution is get the proper training for an activity, like scuba, and go do it. If you are trained, then the risk is minimal and you can enjoy it.

my goodness!,,scuba diving related deaths almost everyday!!!!????!!!...unbelievable!!

Why?

How about "driving-related deaths EVERY day" - unbelievable . . .

the question arises,since this sport is considered VERY dangerous,why are people still undulge themselves to it??

You are making some HUGE jumps to conclusions. Who, besides you, considers this sport "VERY" dangerous?

there are several reasons why diving fails and cause DEATH

Where did you get this? I assume you made it up. However, with some research on diving accident analysis, you might have found there are about five very real rules broken in almost every non-medical accident.

:caveman:

1) inadequate diver's technical know how
2) Natural/ catastrophic
3) diver's health condition(lung air load limit/too high pressure cause lung to collapse)
4) panic (uncontrollable)
5) over confident divers.(you know what i mean)
6) negligence
7) lack of proper/reliable diving equipment/ gadget
8) intentional/suicide (very rare,,,but it happens)
9) supernatural causes

feel free to add if i miss anything...

Pretty much, you've missed the boat. Fortunately, a lot of very good people are taking the time to address your statement. Will you take the time to read and try to understand?

It is neither right nor fair to read some things and then pronounce judgement on the sport. Do you ride a bike? More people die riding a bike than diving.

Florida's 2 day mini lobster season starts tomorrow night. We always see a few die there in spite of all the work done by many to warn and educate divers who are not prepared.

>More people die riding a bike than diving.

maybe alot more people ride bikes ?
you need to look at the active use ratio how many people how many hrs pr accident, to come up with a risk to risk compareable value,
in usa you see 500 times as many cars as you see bikes, and what about car accident counts pr driven hrs pr person ?

I dont neglect the risk involved in diving, it is there, people die, it is a fact..
All people I know will eventualy die, I just hope they do some thing with their live they enjoy
enstead of sitting on a chair looking out the window while life just passes by.

>More people die riding a bike than diving.

maybe alot more people ride bikes ?
you need to look at the active use ratio how many people how many hrs pr accident, to come up with a risk to risk compareable value,
in usa you see 500 times as many cars as you see bikes, and what about car accident counts pr driven hrs pr person ?

I dont neglect the risk involved in diving, it is there, people die, it is a fact..
All people I know will eventualy die, I just hope they do some thing with their live they enjoy
enstead of sitting on a chair looking out the window while life just passes by.

Exactly! And that was my point with Rovic - he read SOME stuff and passed judgement.

From what I have unscientifically assimilated, divers dive from two main reasons: Stupidity, and medical. Salt a little misfortune in there for the outliers.

• Divers out-dive their training and / or experience;
  • Diving without a plan (or guideline :wink:) to get them back safely;
  • Running out of gas, or using the wrong gas, or failing to plan gas (last part goes with the one above)
  • Depth - either too deep, racing up through depths, or panicking at depth
  • Equipment - failure to have or use properly the necessary equipment for the dive

Thoughts?

I forgot to mention that several forums exist for discussing DiHydrogen Monoxide. Just Google "DHMO forum" to find them.

Greetings rovic and I would like to share what my instructor always taught us.
He always said that 99% dive accidents were diver error for a variety of reasons which some have been already shared.
The risks associated with diving are managed by instruction and proper training in a controlled environment by a instructor.
These skills are taught and drilled into our dive mechanics.
When we meet the training requirements we EARN a card stating that we have achieved the rating or level.

This is not the end of the road though, we are responsible to keep these skills fresh and maintain mastery to ensure our safety and our team.
There are no scuba police to enforce the rules and or retest our skills to maintain adequacy.
We are a community of people who are very diverse in every way.
We all have different ideas, goals, diving means different things to all of us.

Much of how we are trained and the rules that many of us ascribe to are born out of the science of ACCIDENT ANALYSIS.
Many people have poured over thousands of dive accidents / fatalities to determine just how and what should be taught to reduce the risks of scuba diving both Recreational and Tech diving.
With the emergence of increased technical data diving has grown into many different agencies who train thousands of divers a year.

Of those thousands some will make errors, some will unfortunately become fatalities.
It is just the nature of risk related activities, any activities that is.

IMO, in my opinion Diving is the safest sport I have undertook simply just because I know and understand that it is MY responsibility to keep my skills up to par and keep my dives with in my training and experience level.
It is MY decision to pursue advanced dives or Tech dives that increase the risks of fatality no one holds a gun to my head.
For me it is who I am not just what I do on vacation for recreation.
I train hard, study, continue my education, build my dive experience slowly while loving every minute of it!

Do I calculate my risks? Every dive when I am triple checking my gear, going over the plan, considering the failures, planning to overcome them, carrying enough gas to get my buddy and I to safety, and not compromise the rules of safety!

Have things went awry? Yes they have and without training it would have ended badly.
IT DID NOT BECAUSE OF THE TRAINING AND RULES THAT WERE DRILLED INTO US!
We assume the risk but we train to overcome the issues should they occur.

I am not trying to push any agenda, irritate anyone but explaining my opinion only.
I love to assist new divers learn and perfect skills, it is my passion to pass on the gift that was so graciously given to me.
Great divers are not born but make through training and commitment to excellence.
Safe diving everyone.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom