Maintain your gear, and be FAMILIAR with how to use it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ongoing take-away from this stuff always continues to enforce that I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR ME!
Know my gear, know my strategies, and know my limits. Yes, I certainly hope to be there for someone else (typically my usual buddy or my family), but I also do not depend on them (or a DM) for me.....

Reactions: Ana
Quoting from a PM I received. Hits hard but it's 100% right as far as I'm concerned.
Good for you, for being able to take the constructive criticism with grace. Not many people can do that. :):clearmask:

Quoting from a PM I received. Hits hard but it's 100% right as far as I'm concerned. Kind of a shame that the diving season is almost wrapped up around here. Be nice to get out some more, but I guess pool times will be starting up soon.

You have not mastered one of the most basic and important skills you were taught: How to disconnect the inflator hose.
You learned that in a real emergency you don't know how to ditch weights
You learned that in a real emergency you are prone to panic - even after you are safely on the surface.
You learned that in a real emergency you might choose to swim down, rather than dump air from the BC when you are too light
You learned that a DM can't always effectively watch over you and help you - so you need to be more self sufficient.
You learned that your problem solving skills underwater are weak - if you thought you had a bad leak from the tank/regulator - then you should have been thinking about going to the surface- 20 feet away - not fighting to exhaustion to remain at depth.
You learned that signaling a problem underwater to a buddy/DM may not be as simple as is seems.
You (hopefully) will now learn that a stuck inflator is one of the most common scuba gear failures
You learned that over exerting yourself and trying to use brute force to salvage a situation is not always best
You learned that something like dual calf cramps can incapacitate you and prevent you from swimming a short distance even in a calm lake with no current.
You learned that underwater, things can go from fine to a big problem in an instant and with no real warning.

This little incident should teach you a ton of stuff, and all of it should help you become a better diver and safer. You need to rationally critique all your thought processes and actions, work on developing a game plan to handle similar emergencies more effectively and you should figure out a way to survive failure of any single piece of gear you use. Training, practice and time in the water.

Your stated lesson of learning to never rent gear, is NOT what you should be concentrating on.
It's good advice. I had similar thoughts, but a post like that would likely get deleted here for no flaming.

Don't take it personal. Learn from it. Keep practicing and eventually those little issues that arise while diving won't become major.

@Darcimus, that pm convo wasn't too bad. :)

Regardless, I'm going to take this opportunity to remind members that you can also report private messages(conversations) should the message be offensive in any way.

I am also disappointed that the member that wrote to you didn't feel that they could share good and constructive advice here.

The only time that good advice is a problem is when the delivery is mean-spirited or accusatory.

The message didn't offend me at all. On the contrary, I like my advice to be blunt. Quick and to the point. I get offended when people beat around the bush and sugar coat things. I'm not disappointed the member decided it was best for a PM. I can see how a lot of people would have been butthurt by what was said. Not my cup of tea though. Gonna heed the advice given and change how I do things now.

Another thing Iearned about this experience: Following your buddy isn't helpful at all. I should have been right up beside him where he could actually see me. He said when he finally saw me rising all he could see what a mess of bubbles.

Another thing Iearned about this experience: Following your buddy isn't helpful at all. I should have been right up beside him where he could actually see me. He said when he finally saw me rising all he could see what a mess of bubbles.

I'd argue it would be better to be self reliant, and not need a buddy at all. :wink:

I'd argue it would be better to be self reliant, and not need a buddy at all. :wink:

Don't forget which subforum you are in CuzzA

Quoting from a PM I received. Hits hard but it's 100% right as far as I'm concerned. Kind of a shame that the diving season is almost wrapped up around here. Be nice to get out some more, but I guess pool times will be starting up soon.

You have not mastered one of the most basic and important skills you were taught: How to disconnect the inflator hose.
You learned that in a real emergency you don't know how to ditch weights
You learned that in a real emergency you are prone to panic - even after you are safely on the surface.
You learned that in a real emergency you might choose to swim down, rather than dump air from the BC when you are too light
You learned that a DM can't always effectively watch over you and help you - so you need to be more self sufficient.
You learned that your problem solving skills underwater are weak - if you thought you had a bad leak from the tank/regulator - then you should have been thinking about going to the surface- 20 feet away - not fighting to exhaustion to remain at depth.
You learned that signaling a problem underwater to a buddy/DM may not be as simple as is seems.
You (hopefully) will now learn that a stuck inflator is one of the most common scuba gear failures
You learned that over exerting yourself and trying to use brute force to salvage a situation is not always best
You learned that something like dual calf cramps can incapacitate you and prevent you from swimming a short distance even in a calm lake with no current.
You learned that underwater, things can go from fine to a big problem in an instant and with no real warning.

This little incident should teach you a ton of stuff, and all of it should help you become a better diver and safer. You need to rationally critique all your thought processes and actions, work on developing a game plan to handle similar emergencies more effectively and you should figure out a way to survive failure of any single piece of gear you use. Training, practice and time in the water.

Your stated lesson of learning to never rent gear, is NOT what you should be concentrating on.
Very succinct. You should take this to heart and look at these.

Don't forget which subforum you are in CuzzA
I don't believe the idea of being self reliant should be only for divers beyond the basic open water course. Diving is a dangerous sport and things will go wrong. To be dependent on someone else, as illustrated in this case, is a perfect example of why divers should approach the sport from a self reliant standpoint. Nothing wrong with buddy diving, but you have to be able to take care of your problems. Basic scuba courses put so much emphasis on buddy diving I believe it it a disservice to their training and gives divers a false sense of safety, when in reality there is no guarantee your buddy will be exactly where you need him/her to be and certainly no guarantee they will provide the best assistance. How many stories have we heard where someone was having a problem and their buddy just froze? I'm not advocating everyone should be a solo diver, rather I'm advocating being a self reliant diver. For me that mind frame starts the moment I splash.

Back
Top Bottom