Makapu diver death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Word is that there was a diver death at Makapu, over the weekend. I heard it was a Japanese girl possibly doing an intro scuba or OW class, and that there was equipment failure involved. Anyone have any facts? I hope the rumor is wrong.

Billfish

billfish:
Word is that there was a diver death at Makapu, over the weekend. I heard it was a Japanese girl possibly doing an intro scuba or OW class, and that there was equipment failure involved. Anyone have any facts? I hope the rumor is wrong.

Billfish

Hey Bill!

Don't have the 100% or the details on it yet (Check the honolulu advertiser and the star bulletin too), but a friend of my SO said that he saw them pulling the girl out, looked pretty dead to him.

Aloha,
Lisa

justleesa:
Don't have the 100% or the details on it yet (Check the honolulu advertiser and the star bulletin too), but a friend of my SO said that he saw them pulling the girl out, looked pretty dead to him.

That's sad - it's been a while since we've had a scuba related death out here - although wasn't the last one out of Makapuu also? I would think that area is kind of rough for an OW class, though.

Al Mialkovsky:
I've searched both online papers without results.

I've searched and can't find anything either. Weird. But I'm pretty sure it happened, though. I have a doc friend who was on duty at Castle Hosptital when they brought her in. Do they ever try to cover these things things up?

Billfish

In Hawaii, where there's a huge tourism industry?

Can't imagine any reason they'd do that.

Me neither. When our boss died in January (massive heart attack while diving), it took about five or six days to appear in the news paper.....I'll keep watching

justleesa:
Just checked the papers again...nothing. Has anybody heard anything?

She is comatose and on life support at Castle Hospital while her family decides what to do and waits for a miracle. So technically it's not a death. Very sad. I've heard more about the incident but would prefer not to talk about it yet, because it would be hearsay, and could be harmful to those involved if it is not exactly true.

Hi Bill,

I asked on the dive boat this weekend and they seemed to think it was a swimmer, not a diver. Do you know for sure which? (Not that it matters - it is very sad nonetheless . . . .)

-becky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom