Making a CESA "ahhhh sound?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still a fan of the "method" I first read from a post by DumpsterDiver. Although training was the "Ahhhhhh", his suggestion of "Sheeeeeeeeeeetttttt" seemed more logical as it should be what is going through your mind as you have really put yourself in the wrong situation when you are having to implement this action.....

Put in context: the idea is to make *some* kind of sound so that you can exhale ... or more accurately keep your airway open... for 30 seconds while exhaling continuously. I tell my students to sing a note (any note) and hold it. This is something you can practice on the couch during commercial breaks.

The goal (keeping the airway open) is important. How you do that is not.

R..

In my youth, I went through the Submarine Escape Trainer and they used HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO..... as the sound to the surface, the Santa Claus express. The more interesting part was class after class of non divers (vast majority) doing 50' and 100' CSEAs.

The old trainer is now gone and I believe the new one is only 40'.

Bob
--------------------
... you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
Harry Calahan

Get a copy of Ocean Quest-see below link-& watch it(Al teaches Shawn everything about 'it') ......Will explain EVERYTHING you need to know about CESA's---lol, from what I remember.....

BTW, when wife, daughter & myself were taking SCUBA lessons(summer of 1985), this series was being aired---for the 1st time---ie July/August of 1985.....Does bring back some GREAT memories...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ocean+quest+shawn+weatherly

Last edited:
Now, it may be possible to get a little air from your regulator before you reach the surface, simply because the ambient pressure may drop enough to permit the first stage to deliver a little bit of gas. (When you are "out of air", it doesn't mean the tank is empty; it means the tank pressure has dropped low enough that the first stage can no longer deliver gas downstream.) That is why you are taught to keep the regulator in your mouth during this drill, although to complete it successfully, you have to make it to the surface without inhaling (I've never actually understood why).
I agree. As an educator, I strongly believe in the dictum that you never practice something differently from the way it will have to be performed. I think we should emphasize to students that they are not actually out of air, and we should probably do that by having them inhale just before they reach the surface to show they understand this.

My Instructor said it didnt matter if you made a AAAAAAAAAAAAA eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee or better yet OHHHsssshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sound. The goal is to maintain an open airway so that expanding air in your lungs has a path to escape.
As several have said, it doesn't matter what sound you make when you exhale. The problem is that when it is practiced in the pool on a horizontal swim, there is no benefit of expanding air, so it is much harder than it is when you are doing it from a greater depth in open water. It is therefore unfortunately necessary to have students be very conservative in their exhalation in the pool, much more so than is needed in real life. I use what I call the King Tut method with my students. If they say "Tut Tut Tut Tut Tut Tut" all the way, they usually have no trouble.

Actual CESA was done from 10M (with no reg in mouth).
If I recall correctly, you were certified a long time ago. This was changed by pretty much all agencies everywhere a couple of decades ago. Today practically all agencies teach that the regulator MUST be in the student's mouth for this exercise. In addition to teaching the student that more air will be available on ascent, it prevents the student from accidentally inhaling water, which can cause a gagging reflex.

There seems to be an exception in Belgium, BTW. Students there generally have the regulator out.

An emergency ascent is - for obvious reasons - usually done head first. It is beneficial then to look up and towards the surface. Tilting the head back helps to keep the airway open and you can avoid hitting a boats bottom too.

It is equally important to let the expanding air out during normal ascents and when loosing control of the buoyancy compensator.

You dont need to empty the lungs. They just need an overpressure relief valve. Making a slight sound achieves this easily.

It is equally important to let the expanding air out during normal ascents and when loosing control of the buoyancy compensator.

You dont need to empty the lungs. They just need an overpressure relief valve. Making a slight sound achieves this easily.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you accidently worded all of this really poorly and don't really mean what the above tends to indicate.

For the record I don't make sounds during normal ascents, I just breath normally. Also I don't make ascents because of losing control of my BCD. :)

If I recall correctly, you were certified a long time ago. This was changed by pretty much all agencies everywhere a couple of decades ago. Today practically all agencies teach that the regulator MUST be in the student's mouth for this exercise. In addition to teaching the student that more air will be available on ascent, it prevents the student from accidentally inhaling water, which can cause a gagging reflex.

There seems to be an exception in Belgium, BTW. Students there generally have the regulator out.

Instructor ascended with me with his Octopus held ready to donate, and yes it was a long time ago but strangely I remember some key points of these first training dives mores than what I had for breakfast this morning …. ah wait …. I did not have breakfast this morning due to getting up early to catch a flight and the hotel restaurant was not open :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom