Mako DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was just a thought, I sold my tekna to a buddy. If they are available those center sections would make a nice modification. I did use PVC pipe for bouyancy but it was a bit of a kluge.

Well, it is a good thought, I just don't know if it is possible to purchase one. Here is the dealio on the Tekna and the Mako, both are essentially the same and in fact both use the same shroud, propeller and basic motor that many of today's hot rod "tube" scooters use. it might be easier and several people have done it---remove the guts and cut and machine a tube a make a new scooter fromthe old one. There are bits and pieces available to do exactly that. Given the high dollars cost--3,000 dolars---for a new scooter a 300 dollar Tekna and some sweat could put you into the high zoot crowd with money left over for buying more double hose regulators.

N

OceanOb, most people who use a scooter also use a Hog harness (Hogarthian harness and BP/wing) which includes a D ring on the crtoch strap for a scooter. You could put the clip on a piece of broomstick and slip it between your legs--like a swing. N

I'm planning on buying a used Mako in January (or when one is available) so I will bookmark this excellent thread. Thanks all!!

Oh, and DA, have you dived it yet? Whadda' ya think?

It should arrive Tuesday and the plan is to take it to Rawlings next Sunday for a test drive.

Will that center section on the Mako fit on the Tekna. I got rid of my Tekna because it was so negative. It was my first scooter and I learned to live with it. When I got my Mako with the neutral (or close to it) bouyancy I was amazed at the difference.

I started with the DV3x myself, but met George down in Ft lauderdale, and he showed me that some of the 3x lowers would accept the DV100/Mako center bulkheads. It is very hard to find them (I have had at least four dv3x's and only one was large enough to fit)
The center section was at one time available by special order from Oceanic, but I do not know if you can still get it. Try contacting Force-E in Pompano if you can not find a dealer closer to Dania. I know that buying the parts inside to hold the batteries, plus the buckles and nose cone parts add up way to fast, and buying a used mako or DV100 is the shortest if not cheapest route. Keep the 3x's though.
By the way only the DV100 had the fast motor stock. the DV3x and Makos were generally only wound to produce about 750 RPM and conserve power.
The worse thing about diving my DV100 on long dives is switching batteries. I wish they had made the top bulkhead that holds the battery a quick release design.

you will need the
center section
battery box, ribe ,base plate top bulkhead nose cone and latches for it to work.
but I have done it for people in the past. but it is NOT cheep.

Back
Top Bottom