Malaria pills or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL that's nice, but just saying most of the people we knew that lived in malaria zones didn't do it because they mostly would end up with a strain of it anyway at some point and be a lot worse off.. Me? no pills, no mosquito net, slept with the window open all year and never got sick LOL
That's great for you. As long as you're not claiming that this is good advice and the OP should do the same.

That's great for you. As long as you're not claiming that this is good advice and the OP should do the same.

no, i'm just telling the OP what people actually do in regard to malaria pills which, as its been mentioned a few times, is varied from one person to the next. I think you'll find that's all i did in my posts. its not a cut and dry issue since there are side effects to weigh up when making the decision--both during the course and if malaria hits you.

Scuba BB - how timely - I have just opened my copy of DANs Alert Diver III for 2011 (Summer edition) and there is a whole article on Malaria. Could be worth you having a look. Cheers P

Ok- scan read the article which is very detailed but boils down to - DAN says take the pills not the risk. - P

Whatever choice you make in regards to the malaria medication I highly recommend taking full precautions to avoid being bitten in the first place. I caught Dengue fever in Cambodia and it was not fun at all.

No vaccine and no treatment other than fluids and paracetamol. Future travel is now limited due to the risks associated with catching it again...

I say take the malaria medication, and learn the best ways to avoid being bitten, clothing, sleeping arrangements (nets) and insect spray mornings and evenings.

Best to speak to a doctor though, and enjoy the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom