Manzanillo Shore Diving Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently returned from a trip to Manzanillo where I managed to squeeze in 5 shore dives. I had a bit of trouble finding info on shore diving Manzanillo online so I thought I'd share my experience...

Overall the diving was decent but this is definitely not a dive destination (at least for shore diving). Our average depth over the 5 dives (at 3 different sites) was 20 feet, the average temperature at 20 feet was 68F and visibility was around 25 feet. My wife and I were diving full 4/3mm wetsuits, her with a hood and gloves, me without either. This made for chilly dives and I would recommend a MINIMUM of a 4/3mm with a hood for the average person.

While I found the lack of depth disappointing, there was a huge variety of marine life including TONS of rays (electric, sting and guitarfish), eels, puffers, seahorses, frogfish, nudibranchs and large schools of a variety of fish.

We rented tanks and got all our information from Aquatic Sports and Adventures (Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Training and Rentals in Manzanillo Mexico). They were very friendly and helpful and gave us a great deal on tanks and lead.

The Dives:
Club De Yates

Even when 10 foot waves are crashing on the nearby beaches, Club De Yates will be calm and picturesque. There are 3 shallow dives at this site - left wall, right wall and the rock reef in the centre of the bay. Jump in from the super easy entry point on the small beach, drop down immediately and follow the left or right wall (Max depth = 30'). Alternatively, swim straight out towards the protruding rocks in the centre of the bay, eventually reaching a great rock reef with lots of life (Max depth =50').

Directions
From the main road (Lic Miguel de La Madrid Hurtado), turn south onto Audiencia road. Turn left onto the last street before Audiencia beach (De Los Riscos) and follow it until you see a road on the right marked by a sign on a white wall that says "Yates". Turn here and follow it to it's end at the dirt parking lot.

Playa Audiencia

Description
Playa Audiencia is a popular beach that offers shelter from the waves and a very easy entry. You may get some funny looks from people enjoying the beach but smile as you walk toward the North wall of the cove, and into the water. Drop down near the wall, just before the rope marking the swimming area. Following the wall will take you through a rock reef composed of small rocks and huge boulders that create canyons to swim through. While the wall can be followed down to 50', most of the action is in the top 30'.

Directions
From the main road (Lic Miguel de La Madrid Hurtado), turn south onto Audiencia road and follow it to the end. This is a very popular local beach so arrive early to get a good parking spot. There are food vendors and a pay bathroom at this site.

Description
This is the natural wreck of a 300' steamship that lies within a (long) surface swim of shore. Watch out for jetskis and small power boats during your 15 minute swim out to the wreck. Parts of the wreck can be seen sticking out of the water and the hull extends down to 30' at the stern. There is lots to explore on this wreck including several areas that can be penetrated.

Directions
From the main road (Lic Miguel de La Madrid Hurtado) near the West end of Miramar Beach, turn Southwest onto Carrizales road. You will be stopped by a guard, just tell him that you're going to the "playa" and he will let you pass. Follow the road until you reach the beach where you will be able to see the wreck in the water. Park, gear up and walk in.

Thanks for this very useful report. I especially liked your pic of the guitarfish with the spots. I've been to Baja (Gulf of California) numerous times but have never seen this species.

Like the 2 guitar fish image, I have not been to Manzanillo for a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom