Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually went this past Sunday. The whole quarry is open for diving but there is a new entrance. It's about 30ft up from the old entrance road marked with a dive flag plate. Actually I like it alot better. No longer do you have to go up and down the hill to get to the water. The new water entrance has stairs going down to a dock then another set of stairs going into the water with a platform about 5 ft deep. It's almost directly across the quarry from the old pavilion. This does make for a long swim over to the buildings. Fred has built several picnic tables that are all nice and shady. It kind of reminds me of a state park with all the trees. I spoke with Fred and he said he is starting a new parking lot this week because parking in among all the trees is a issue. He is also building changing rooms now. He still has air fills there too. He said the land the old entrance and pavilion are located on was leased land and now he has everything on his own land. He said now he can do the improvements he has wanted to do for a long time. I have really high hopes for that quarry. I think its going to be better than before.

The only bad thing about Sunday was the vis was only about 6 ft.

Last edited:
does he have nitrox?

is his air o2 clean?

is the poor vis just because of recent construction, or what?

I don't know about nitrox...I didn't ask. There were divers there with nitrox but they brough their own tanks. I've never had any issue with his air there before. The only quarry I've ever got bad air in was Madison...it had that really bad oil taste.

It had rained here alot last week so I think that was the reason for the bad vis. Some of the other divers had been there two weeks before and said the vis was alot better.

Madison used to have a compressor that was known for oil issues. It's not there anymore. They have a different compressor now.

The reason I was asking about o2 clean wasn't 'air taste' but for folks who have tanks that are o2 clean for partial pressure nitrox blending.

That I don't know. I would call one of the dive shops or Fred to be sure. Scuba Adventures in Hendersonville would know I bet.

Post us some pictures the next time you get a chance.

Will do. I will be back there in 2 weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom