Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is there a web site i could goto and check it out

Scubadog, there is not a good site, nor can I find Fred's number. I am getting back into diving and was looking for info to see if the quarry was still open. The number at the old website isn't working. The Quarry is easy to get to once you have been there. Though for me it's been a while so I'll have to relearn where it is at. HTH.

Scubadog, there is not a good site, nor can I find Fred's number. I am getting back into diving and was looking for info to see if the quarry was still open. The number at the old website isn't working. The Quarry is easy to get to once you have been there. Though for me it's been a while so I'll have to relearn where it is at. HTH.

Martha's has a website, but I don't think it's been updated with new information in a while. (for example, the "upcoming events" lists events in 2004)

check out Martha's Quarry :: The Mid-South's Diving Destination

Fred's phone number is Fred Massie, 615.860.0000 (unless it's changed)

EDIT: you can always PM him on here. [user]saigonfred[/user]. Maybe it'll send him an email with notification of a PM.

Last edited:
the site is 5 years old. the access point has changed, the number is no good. The only good part is the map, so I would call the site not good.

Went to Marthas on Sunday for the first time. Could not get over how big the place is. Fred has a nice set up in the new place, and from what he was telling us is going to make some more improvements.

I hope he is able to add some stuff to dive closer to his side of the quarry due to a pretty long surface swim to get to the crusher house/sail boat.

Also, if you go, found a good place to eat steaks and very reasonable prices. Its about 10 miles from the site.

Steak House, Old Hickory Lake, Cherokee Steak House And Marina, Lebanon, TN

Went to Marthas on Sunday for the first time. Could not get over how big the place is. Fred has a nice set up in the new place, and from what he was telling us is going to make some more improvements.

I hope he is able to add some stuff to dive closer to his side of the quarry due to a pretty long surface swim to get to the crusher house/sail boat.

Also, if you go, found a good place to eat steaks and very reasonable prices. Its about 10 miles from the site.

How was the visibility?

Cherokee is a great place for steaks...plus..its nice to be able to pull a boat right up to it.

Is that Reba McEntire's house right next door? One of the guy's diving told us it was her or some famous country singer.

Finally, Fred has returned.
There have certainly been a lot of rumors. I'll try to get all those straightened out.
1. I'm not battleing with my neighbors. In fact, I have a good relationship with the pronciple ownrt of other parts of the Quarry. We share the Quarry, but we each have our own dreams and desires. We do work well together, however we (as most relationship do) butt heads. This happens more often than the rumors can tell. Generally this happens on the weekend and we are having lunch by Wednesday.

2. Yes, parts of the quarry were off limits the first six weeks of the season. The reason was a legitimate liability concern. It can be difficult to purchase insurance that is affordable on this type of property. I no longer carry liability on the parts I do not control (I can't). This insurance can only be purchased by the owner or persons holding a lease. I do not own or lease the other side. this was resolved by reading the laws on insurance in Tennessee. On a jointly owned body of water, who is liable for a person in the water? Simple, the person liable is the person from who's property you launched from. With this said, here is a new rule....You can dive any parts of the Quarry, but you can only launch from my property. you can exit on the other side, but you can not reenter there. if you exit on the other side, you must take a long hike back to my side to relaunch. It's a 3/4 of a mile hike, i'd rather not.

3. The reason I have not been here or sending out my lengthy emails is/are.........I've been lost all year as to what to do or to say. All plans last fall have gone away. New plans are changed almost weekly. Either my son or myself want to alter a new plan on monday, we argue tues.-thur. then try to get it done on fri. Anything I would have anounced here or anywhere else, would have been changed before you caught wind of it

4. The quarry is for sale. We do have a buyer. He is having difficulty selling his property in upstate NY, so he can buy here. No set sell date is confirmed. I will be required under contract to stay and operate scuba if he buys. either way, I and scuba will remain at Martha's Quarry :D

5. We now have the easiest entrance/exit ever at Martha's. You will be in the shade (don't need the pop up unless it rains) Even on the few 90+ degree days, nobody hurried off to get cooled down or complained about the heat. they stayed for hours and talked scuba. 100% of the women that had visited in past years, thanked me for moving, and about 50% of the men said the same....getting out of the rock oven on the otherside. you will be under the forrest canopy, park you car in the shade, and are welcome to stay longer.

6. we do not have rental, other than a few tanks. we have air fills, no nitrox. Our air is not HYPER filtered, but from air test quailifies for nitrox blending. We have 9 1/2 picnic tables and another 16 we will bring out next spring. There area use is enlarge almost weekly. It is an ongoing neverending project.

FAQ

1 when will all be completed I don't know
2 rental in future I don't know
3 how long will you be open I don't know
4 What are your new plans I don't know
5 Will your plans change again Absolutely
6 what is your phone number 615-860-0000

These are the reasons I have not been putting out any info ( i don't know what to say). I hope this clears up a few thing

happy diving and god bless
Fred

Is that Reba McEntire's house right next door? One of the guy's diving told us it was her or some famous country singer.

She did own it at one time but I was told she sold it to one of the Titans players...but not for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom