Martini Effect -- No Consistent Definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'd just like to say that the most narced I have ever been was sitting in Bret Gilliam's living room in Maine.

:chuckle:

The term originated with LA County Underwater Instruction program.

The first effective recreational diving manual was "Underwater recreation" by Bev Morgan published in July 1954.

In order to describe N/N the author used the effects of drinking a Martini..one every 33 feet of depth.

I suspect that we will have some modern late model tube sucking bubble blowing diving revisionist come out of the wood work who will use 50 feet and still others declare it came from some obscure or currently popular agency--

Nope! it came from LA Co UW program- 33 feet = one martini.

If quoting the very short history of recreational diving it is very important that it be accurately quoted.

sdm

Okay, this is good information. Now, is that each 33 feet from the surface? Or each 33 feet starting at 100 feet? Because if it's from the surface, then you don't even get the martini effect until you've drunk 3 martinis (which doesn't make a lot of sense).

Okay, this is good information. Now, is that each 33 feet from the surface? Or each 33 feet starting at 100 feet? Because if it's from the surface, then you don't even get the martini effect until you've drunk 3 martinis (which doesn't make a lot of sense).

none of the above... about as useful as the concept of blood letting ..... antiquated at best

Well, that's an interesting take.

How would you describe a "narcotic effect" to someone who has never felt it (we are talking new divers here), presumably never had narcotics, and you want him or her to understand that their judgement is being affected as they go deeper?

Just state common symptoms and emphasize that the symptoms become more pronounced at depth. Implying that narcosis at 4ata is similar to having 3 drink is very misleading to a large person who drinks with some frequency. I think we all understand that 3 drinks to a 100lb girl is not the same as 3 drinks to a 240lb man, and the perceived effects of narcosis vary wildly from individual to individual and from exposure to exposure. How many times have you seen people write "I've never been narc'd" or "I went to 120ft and didn't feel anything" on SB?

Hmm....could you tell me what agency does that?

I'm pretty sure I first heard of the martini thing in one of my NAUI textbooks. Can't recall if it was OW or AOW.

Last edited:
Take a look at page 61 in "The New Science of Skin And Scuba Diving" (1970 edition).
Very clearly explained.

I was cutting my buddy out of an entanglement mess at 120'. I did not feel Narced but it took my a couple minutes to sheave my knife. The first time I got narced it was a dark narc at 110' and I had to fight to avoid panic. I was ok after a couple minutes and it never happened again. I did Devils throat and never felt narced (135'), but you know I was.

This effects different people in different ways. However like death, EVERYONE get's narced. If you dive past 80' you are narced. Sometimes at the bottom of BH NM I suddenly feel like laughing, or messing with my buddy's fins. That is narcosis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom