Martini's Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, Please no need to get upset. I certainly appreciate all the narc input since I am fairly new at all this. I just wondered if I could tell that I am narced once I get to 300ft.
Thanks

Hey guy,

Hold on there. Are you saying you're new to this (diving) and wondering about being narc'ed at 300ft? Don't get me wrong, there are others on this board much more knowledgeable about diving than I (almost everyone), but I believe you may have bigger problems at 300ft than whether or not you can recognize Nitrogen Narcosis effects.

Just my .02 worth.

Jimbo

Wasserman, Jimbo's got a point. If you are considering diving to 300ft on air... you might as well be planning on a one way trip. The big three double 0 can to be done safely on mixed gas, but your chances of doing it safely on air is slim at best. Perhaps you should take a look at Bret Gilliam's book Deep Diving

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

your having a laugh arnt you !!!!
at 300ft you will go over the max po2 of 1.6 bar and the air your breathing will kill you !!!, you will convulse and become a statistic dont be daft and go and do an Eanx course
and get some depth experience, failing that sell your kit cos you aint fit to use it!!!!

Narcosis is the effect nitrogen has on the CNS. Under pressure, nitrogen will dissolve quickly into the fatty deposits around the nerve endings called synapses. These will then swell (as tissues do when irritated) and cause a delay in firing. In other words, irrational judgements can occur due to lack on information being transmitted by cells in the brain. And, yes death can result. Theoretically, narcosis can happen at anytime one enters the deep blue. Typically it starts aroun 80 feet. However, the effect and when it happens is based on an individual's physiology. So, everyone is different.

Now a dive to 300 feet on air :eek: Are you mad man ?!?!
Not only would you be narced a long time before reaching it, the p02 level would be high and the deco time would be tremendous. People do get close to the big 300 using other gas mixes and and whole lot of training. No one takes the plunge right away; there is more that goes into planning than the time spent there. May wish to read a little on different gas mixtures and their pros and cons. And, I would definitely recommend enrolling in some course work with some agency like TDI and so forth. Check out some commercial diving schools.

Regards and dive safe :)

The best way to tell is when you see jimmy hoffa swim past you..

Sometimes you don't realize you've been narced until after the dive. While discussing the dive with your buddy, you come to the realization that you had been narced.

It still is the best drunk because you don't get a hangover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom