Mask, 1 window vs 2 vs 4 vs 6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found that old guys like me who have "close vision challenges" can see better with glass a bit further from our eyes. Really low-volume masks like aqua lung mythos with the glass really close to my eyes tend to: 1) distort the view more towards the edge of the field of view; and 2) make it more difficult to read the tiny letters on my computer.

The tusa visulator provides pretty much the same FOV with less distortion because the glass is further from my eyes. The huge volume is the obvious disadvantage. With the visualator, I can see more clearly, but I have to pay more attention to mask equalization and can sling the off my face if I turn my head too quickly.

To see what I'm talking about, put your face right up next to an aquarium and experience the distortion. Then back off an inch or so and observe the slightly increased clarity.

I still haven't decided which one I like better.

I have not tried a bunch different masks , but I have heard that side windows distort the view (can see the fish in two places, like corner of a fish tank) and are too distracting
I do have the Tusa Visulator mask and the Cressi Big Eyes mask and while I tried to like the Big Eyes mask because it just looks more normal and has low volume , I just didn't like it as much as I do my Visulator , I can see above my eyebrows without lifting my head up, can laugh without flooding it , and while it is larger volume than low volume masks , it is smaller than a lot of 4 window masks and I can clear it no problem

so after fit , get what you like

DB

I like my visualator for all the same reasons listed above....

Thanks for all the good info.

Interesting to see some different views on the low volume Mythos or higher volume Visualator (more expensive too).

Also wonder why they don't make the side of the mask with some curve, but not like the Hydrooptix. It's now either flat, or with side window. (I also have question about roof shingles, all dull dark colors, why don't they make them with brighter or multi-colored)

Thanks.

Making the glass curved like hydrooptix would be like wearing concave glasses. It might work for near-sighted people. Not so good for the rest of us. :)

ScubaMax sells the same mask as the visualator with a better strap for less. Many LDSs carry ScubaMax. I really don't have a visualator - have the scubamax version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom