Mask clearing is my #1 skill...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggested the Atomic and the Cressi because they are new in my area, and wondered if anyone had some constructive comparison before I shell out another $100+.

Beg, borrow, or steal one to try out before you buy one. As people have pointed out, either a mask fits or it doesn't and the only way to know is to try it on. (Walter's got the right method of determining that.)

I have the Atomic Frameless and love it. Do note that they come in two sizes, so if one doesn't fit, try the other size as well.

I have been trying the Atomic frameless and like it alot! Have you tried the midi size yet? There are actually two frameless sizes, I believed at first I needed the midi but after trying them both went with the full size. I have not had a mask yet that seals as well. I always suffer leaks at the "laugh lines", I smile alot while I dive! Ha! Ha! I wish I was kidding. The only issue so far was fogging but after tooth brush and paist 6-8 times it went away. The mask clears very easy and is quite compact. It also offers a great field of view. Bottom line for me, "I love it!" I have been looking at a few of the new Aqua Lung masks also but not tried them on yet. I hate to admit but there are so many great masks, I'll keep searching for the perfect one for me. Good luck. CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

For the hood problem, you may need to loosen the mask strap. If the strap is too tight it will distort the skirt and leak. The strap should only tight enough to hold the mask on while breathing out through the nose. If you have a properly fitting mask you will be able to dive without the strap on at all. I do this in pool sessions to prove the point to students.

By the way there is no :no smiling :D or laughing :rofl3: in diving! your mask will leak :(

Couple of things to try- Move the strap up onto that ridge near the top of your head in the back- that has helped me get a seal with an older Scubapro mask that I have. With the strap in a more normal position, it leaks like crazy- move it up to that spot and the leaking stops.

The other thing to watch is your smile lines between your nose and the sides of your mouth- many folks have these, and they tend to deepen with age. Puff out your mouth when you go for the seal, this softens these lines- then the mask may be able to hold a seal when you release that puffed breath. Worth a shot!~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom