Mask clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hayls

Reaction score
hiya,

im new to diving. ive just done my confined water dives and i had real problems with mask clearing. I found it quite difficult to do, and I kept feeling like I was swallowing water. This has really upset me. Please advise if other new divers seem to have problems with mask clearing? And any hints or advice would me much appreciated.
Feeling quite alone in this. Many thanks

Hello and welcome!

Not to worry, trouble with mask clearing is very common with new divers. Have you asked your instructor for extra help with this skill? I would suggest practicing it over and over while kneeling in the shallow end of the pool. Start by letting just a little water in, clear that, then gradual work up to a full flood and finally mask removal. It's very important to get this skill down pat, but I'm sure you'll get it with just a little extra practice.

Perhaps one of the Mods might move this thread over to Basic Scuba Discussions?

Good luck, take it slow, and have fun!
Lilla

Mask removal and replacement is a very important skill.If it ever gets knocked off or your strap breaks.You know this is a weekness,so practice this one more.98% of divers can breathe through their mouth while the nose is in water.I once saw a navy seal program and one guy could not do it no matter what.At the end of the program it was determined by doctors that he physically couldnt do it because of a possible deformity in his nasal passage.He did not make the seal team.You can practice in a pool as stated or in your living room.Simply fill your mask with water and breathe through your mouth.Its important to be able to breathe through small amounts of water in the nasal cavity.Do not attempt to finish your class until you get this skill down.In cave training they took me down about 100 ft deep and 600ft back.Then they signal out of air,and you air share.[simulated air failure]then they tell you to remove and stowe your mask[simulating a lost mask]then they turn all lights out[simulating a total siltout]now you hold the line loosely and swim all the way out maintaining buddy contact without light,mask or backup reg[buddy is on it]I always carry a spare mask in a thigh pouch for safety.Keep practicing and youll get r done.

I PM'd a Mod and requested your post be moved over here - I think you'll get more responses that could be helpful to you. Thanks Anne Marie!

Hi :admingreet: Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Okay here's what I have my students do:

1. look down
2. let a little water into your mask
3. put the heel of your hand on the center, top portion of your mask frame (I jokingly call it the Homer Simpson "doh!" move) and put a little pressure on the top of your mask.
4. start exhaling out your nose nice and slow and steady
5. slowly look up while continuing to exhale

Practice at home, not underwater, until you have the moves down. Remember to inhale only through your mouth.

Good luck, you can do it. It just really isn't natural to have water on your face and still breath so don't feel bad. Just take your time and remember that as long as your regulator is in your mouth you can breath. If you start to feel nervous, just focus on nice slow, deep breaths.

I'm getting over this problem too. I just feel like I can't breathe when there's water surrounding my nose. If it's that kind of problem, do this:

Use a pool and snorkel!
At home fill your mask with water and stick it to your face for a certain amount of time each day and walk around, talk to someone, do normal things until it's comfortable
WHen your scuba-ing with out a mask blow out your nose, not your mouth
FORCE yourself to stay down and use your brain. (As mean as that sounds it helps) I usually have a buddy put a hand on me just for comfort.

Good luck! you won't get this skill worked through right away trust me. Good luck!

Ann Marie's suggestions are exactly what I will have a student do, if I'm doing some extra work with them for an instructor. In fact, a few weeks ago, I worked about 2hrs with a student during their check out dives on that very skill (the instructor failed to notice that the student hadn't been in the water since very early in the year). The student was very nervous, & upset, but with a little practice & coaching they got the skill back down pat & went on to finish the check out dives & pass with flying colors. Take your time, don't get in a hurry & above all don't get discouraged. IT WILL COME WITH TIME & PRACTICE. Best of luck to you! I know you can do it!:wink:

I don't think the method posted above is very effective or efficient.

First, and most importantly, you need to be able to exhale small tiny bubbles with no mask on, with your eyes open, COMFORTABLY. This is called an exhalation drill. When you can do this, now add the mask, and you'll never have issues doing mask clears again. I do these sorts of exhalation drills before I get in the water every time.

Do the mask clears as slowly and controlled as you can, making sure not to waste air. Many of our students can do 5, 6, 7, 8...10+ mask clears on a single breath.

This is a 'comfort in the water' issue, and a safety issue. You NEED to be able to clear your mask underwater...

Slow and relaxed with good technique.

Note: Video isn't me, but is a student from our program.

When I took my OW class, the instructor had us squat at the bottom of the pool in a circle. We then took off our mask and handed it to the right. We would take the mask from the left, put it on and clear it. Once everyone was finished, we took off that mask and handed it to the right.

We continued to do this until we all got our original masks back. After putting on a mask a dozen or more times we got to be all pretty comfortable with the procedure.

So I would just suggest some practice somewhere safe. I think a pool would be best, if possible. Just take off your mask a dozen or so times and clear it.

Oh yeah, welcome to Scubaboard.

Hi there...

I'm a newbie too and mask clearing was my biggest annoyance from the start. I kept complaining to my instructor that there is "something wrong" with my mask. But really it was just practice. I know that seems like not a good answer... but honestly its the truth. My instructor made me do it over and over and over until I could do it without coughing, getting water into my nose, feeling like I was going to drown, etc... But I'm so grateful he made me do it so many times.

One thing I did change is my mask strap. I got one of those neoprene straps instead of the plastics straps. I realized that I had a habit of make my straps too tight around me and I couldn't clear my mask well because my mask barely came off my face. Of course I didn't realize it but my instructor insisted that I wasn't actually lifting the mask around my nose area so nothing blew out. With the neoprene, it wasn't nearly as tight on my face and suddenly my mask was clearing much easier. Now I'm happy to say I am not afraid of a little (or a lot of) water in my mask.

You'll get it... keep trying... you are definitely not alone in your experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom