Mask, corrected vision, looking for suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use a heads up display mask and have corrected vision for both near and far. This is challenging because the readout is on one side, making the actual lens about 1/4 shorter from top to bottom. For me, this means that I only have correction for close-up in one eye, but correction for distance in both. I really enjoy taking photos of small things, but doing so with this setup is difficult. I end up closing one eye to see what's in my viewfinder or what's right in front of me if it's small. I've thought about contact lenses and getting rid of correction in my mask (one for distance and one for closeup) but I've never done well with contacts.

If you have a creative solution to this problem (other than going to a regular mask - I love my HUD) I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if it can be done with your HUD mask but bifocals can be installed in most masks. Midwest Scuba in St. Charles works with a company that might be able to offer a solution, I recommend going to talk with Chris at Midwest about it.

I use a heads up display mask and have corrected vision for both near and far. This is challenging because the readout is on one side, making the actual lens about 1/4 shorter from top to bottom. For me, this means that I only have correction for close-up in one eye, but correction for distance in both. I really enjoy taking photos of small things, but doing so with this setup is difficult. I end up closing one eye to see what's in my viewfinder or what's right in front of me if it's small. I've thought about contact lenses and getting rid of correction in my mask (one for distance and one for closeup) but I've never done well with contacts.

If you have a creative solution to this problem (other than going to a regular mask - I love my HUD) I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I do have a bifocal in one lens. I may end up having to wear one mask when I want to take pictures and the HUD otherwise. :(

Try these guys. I found them fantastic and they can work with any mask and any specifications. I'm sure they could fit a slightly shorter lens in the HUD side.

Try these guys. I found them fantastic and they can work with any mask and any specifications. I'm sure they could fit a slightly shorter lens in the HUD side.
What guys?

Sorry - a senior moment. Forgot to include the link. Bad way to start the new year - lol.

Here it is: Prescription Dive Masks

I have a mask with readers from SeaVision USA (see photo on left). They can do pretty much any prescription or reader. I've had mine for almost ten years and they're still doing great.

SeaVisionUSA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom